ASIA/INDIA - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
Patna ( Agenzia Fides) - The defense of the rights of the most vulnerable is a priority for the Church: is what His Exc. Mgr. William D' Souza, Archbishop of Patna, the capital of the Indian state of Bihar said during a workshop on the Social Doctrine of the Church organized by the "Justice, peace and Development Commission" of the Bishops' Conference of India. As reported to Fides, the Bishop urged the faithful to "an active commitment to justice". Quoting the prophet Micah, he recalled the phrase "do justice, love mercy", saying that this enlightens Christians on how to respond to the "signs of the times".
The Social Doctrine of the Church - added Fr.Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the Bishops Commission – is not just pure theory but is a call to social commitment. The participants made the point on the key issues that affect society and the Church. These are challenges for the Church, especially in the state of Bihar: the defense of the rights of women and children; the caste system still in force; discrimination against minorities. The 45 participants attending the workshop, priests, lay people, delegates and experts from the dioceses of Bihar, have remarked that, according Pope Francis' style and recommendations, the Church in India is rediscovering the importance of making serious discernment and effective social action, in order to actualize and embody the fundamental principles of the social doctrine such as solidarity and the preferential option for the poor in the Indian reality. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2014-10-22 - Appeal for minorities is shared in civil society
- 2014-10-21 - The Franciscans prepare the Year for consecrated life
- 2014-10-15 - A center of excellence for technical formation regarding disadvantaged young people
- 2014-10-14 - The Franciscan Indians in the front line against violence on women
- 2014-10-10 - Christians to the government: "We are not terrorists"
- 2014-10-10 - Bosco Tea Project for more than 700 tea laborers
- 2014-10-09 - The Jesuits denounce: "600 attacks against religious minorities: stop to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - The marriage between a Christian and a Hindu annulled due to extremist group protest
- 2014-10-02 - Exposition of the relics of St. Francis Xavier
- 2014-10-01 - Closure of the professorship named after Mother Teresa