ASIA/INDIA - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
Patna ( Agenzia Fides) - The defense of the rights of the most vulnerable is a priority for the Church: is what His Exc. Mgr. William D' Souza, Archbishop of Patna, the capital of the Indian state of Bihar said during a workshop on the Social Doctrine of the Church organized by the "Justice, peace and Development Commission" of the Bishops' Conference of India. As reported to Fides, the Bishop urged the faithful to "an active commitment to justice". Quoting the prophet Micah, he recalled the phrase "do justice, love mercy", saying that this enlightens Christians on how to respond to the "signs of the times".
The Social Doctrine of the Church - added Fr.Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the Bishops Commission – is not just pure theory but is a call to social commitment. The participants made the point on the key issues that affect society and the Church. These are challenges for the Church, especially in the state of Bihar: the defense of the rights of women and children; the caste system still in force; discrimination against minorities. The 45 participants attending the workshop, priests, lay people, delegates and experts from the dioceses of Bihar, have remarked that, according Pope Francis' style and recommendations, the Church in India is rediscovering the importance of making serious discernment and effective social action, in order to actualize and embody the fundamental principles of the social doctrine such as solidarity and the preferential option for the poor in the Indian reality. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"
- 2015-03-12 - The Delhi Police has launched a Facebook page to protect the safety of Christians
- 2015-03-11 - Forced mass sterilizations continue
- 2015-03-10 - Christians in march ask Hindu radicals to owe Mother Teresa an apology
- 2015-03-09 - The Franciscans: consecrated life at the service of the poor
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law