ASIA/INDIA - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
Patna ( Agenzia Fides) - The defense of the rights of the most vulnerable is a priority for the Church: is what His Exc. Mgr. William D' Souza, Archbishop of Patna, the capital of the Indian state of Bihar said during a workshop on the Social Doctrine of the Church organized by the "Justice, peace and Development Commission" of the Bishops' Conference of India. As reported to Fides, the Bishop urged the faithful to "an active commitment to justice". Quoting the prophet Micah, he recalled the phrase "do justice, love mercy", saying that this enlightens Christians on how to respond to the "signs of the times".
The Social Doctrine of the Church - added Fr.Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the Bishops Commission – is not just pure theory but is a call to social commitment. The participants made the point on the key issues that affect society and the Church. These are challenges for the Church, especially in the state of Bihar: the defense of the rights of women and children; the caste system still in force; discrimination against minorities. The 45 participants attending the workshop, priests, lay people, delegates and experts from the dioceses of Bihar, have remarked that, according Pope Francis' style and recommendations, the Church in India is rediscovering the importance of making serious discernment and effective social action, in order to actualize and embody the fundamental principles of the social doctrine such as solidarity and the preferential option for the poor in the Indian reality. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise
- 2014-12-03 - “Treated worse than animals”: dramatic situation of women with psychological or intellectual disabilities
- 2014-12-03 - Srinagar and appointment of successor
- 2014-12-02 - Over 70 million children suffer from chronic malnutrition and 13 million work