AMERICA/PERU - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides ) - For the high rate of insecurity in the region of Ancash (500 kilometers north of the capital of Peru), the Ministry of Interior has organized adequate security measures for the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, who has openly denounced the corruption and violence in the region (see Fides 15/10/2013) .
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports what Mgr. Simon Piorno declared: "the new police chief of the division of Chimbote has forced me to special security measures. I did not ask for such measures, because I feel safe and I have not had any problems with anyone. I do not believe anyone would want to hurt me, despite the crime wave that has reached its highest level in our city. I feel I am protected by God".
The Bishop, however, wished to reiterate the condemnation of the assassination of Ezequiel Nolasco Campos, whom he knew personally, who had expressed his desire to discover who had killers his son, Roberto Torres Blas". Many crimes take place in this city", said Mgr. Simon Piorno. Ezequiel Nolasco Campos was a regional councilman and president of a union that often denounced the corruption of the authorities. He was killed on March 14. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking