AMERICA/PERU - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides ) - For the high rate of insecurity in the region of Ancash (500 kilometers north of the capital of Peru), the Ministry of Interior has organized adequate security measures for the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, who has openly denounced the corruption and violence in the region (see Fides 15/10/2013) .
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports what Mgr. Simon Piorno declared: "the new police chief of the division of Chimbote has forced me to special security measures. I did not ask for such measures, because I feel safe and I have not had any problems with anyone. I do not believe anyone would want to hurt me, despite the crime wave that has reached its highest level in our city. I feel I am protected by God".
The Bishop, however, wished to reiterate the condemnation of the assassination of Ezequiel Nolasco Campos, whom he knew personally, who had expressed his desire to discover who had killers his son, Roberto Torres Blas". Many crimes take place in this city", said Mgr. Simon Piorno. Ezequiel Nolasco Campos was a regional councilman and president of a union that often denounced the corruption of the authorities. He was killed on March 14. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - Lost childhood in coffee plantations
- 2015-06-13 - National Week of the Migrant: Letter of Bishops to 3 million Peruvians abroad
- 2015-05-12 - Bishops call for urgent action and dialogue, "No more violence" for the Tia Maria case
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need