AMERICA/PERU - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides ) - For the high rate of insecurity in the region of Ancash (500 kilometers north of the capital of Peru), the Ministry of Interior has organized adequate security measures for the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, who has openly denounced the corruption and violence in the region (see Fides 15/10/2013) .
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports what Mgr. Simon Piorno declared: "the new police chief of the division of Chimbote has forced me to special security measures. I did not ask for such measures, because I feel safe and I have not had any problems with anyone. I do not believe anyone would want to hurt me, despite the crime wave that has reached its highest level in our city. I feel I am protected by God".
The Bishop, however, wished to reiterate the condemnation of the assassination of Ezequiel Nolasco Campos, whom he knew personally, who had expressed his desire to discover who had killers his son, Roberto Torres Blas". Many crimes take place in this city", said Mgr. Simon Piorno. Ezequiel Nolasco Campos was a regional councilman and president of a union that often denounced the corruption of the authorities. He was killed on March 14. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"