AMERICA/PERU - Bishop of Chimbote obligated to special security measures
Chimbote (Agenzia Fides ) - For the high rate of insecurity in the region of Ancash (500 kilometers north of the capital of Peru), the Ministry of Interior has organized adequate security measures for the Bishop of the Diocese of Chimbote, His Exc. Mgr. Angel Francisco Simon Piorno, who has openly denounced the corruption and violence in the region (see Fides 15/10/2013) .
The note sent to Fides by a local source reports what Mgr. Simon Piorno declared: "the new police chief of the division of Chimbote has forced me to special security measures. I did not ask for such measures, because I feel safe and I have not had any problems with anyone. I do not believe anyone would want to hurt me, despite the crime wave that has reached its highest level in our city. I feel I am protected by God".
The Bishop, however, wished to reiterate the condemnation of the assassination of Ezequiel Nolasco Campos, whom he knew personally, who had expressed his desire to discover who had killers his son, Roberto Torres Blas". Many crimes take place in this city", said Mgr. Simon Piorno. Ezequiel Nolasco Campos was a regional councilman and president of a union that often denounced the corruption of the authorities. He was killed on March 14. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/03/2014)
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo