AMERICA/NICARAGUA – Dialogue is closer and closer: President Ortega has received the Bishops’ letter
Managua (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Nicaragua, Daniel Ortega, has received the letter on behalf of the Bishops of the Episcopal Conference of Nicaragua (CEN), which states that the Church is ready to dialogue with the government (see Fides 18/03/2014).
The short note sent to Fides Agency informs that the Auxiliary Bishop of Managua, His Exc. Mgr. Silvio Baez, confirmed that the letter was sent to the President in the early morning hours of Tuesday, March 18.
The first opportunity for dialogue between the Church and Ortega was in December 2013, when the President had lunch with the Bishops at the Apostolic Nunciature (see Fides 12/04/2013). On that occasion also Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, and Archbishop Fortunatus Nwachukwu, Apostolic Nuncio in Nicaragua were present. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 20/03/2014)
AMERICA/NICARAGUA – DIALOGUE IS CLOSER AND CLOSER: PRESIDENT ORTEGA HAS RECEIVED THE BISHOPS’ LETTER
- 2015-11-18 - Bishops meeting: Bring the Gospel to those who use "the digital world"
- 2015-10-28 - The anti-interoceanic canal march suspended, but the population still opposes
- 2015-10-19 - Mining activity in Rancho Grande is "not feasible": listen to the people and the Church
- 2015-10-12 - The Church ready to mediate in the mine issue, "no one has to die for this"
- 2015-10-08 - Clashes between police and protesters, the Church is the only intermediary
- 2015-10-07 - The support of Cardinal Brenes: "Punish those who exploit the naivety of the poor"
- 2015-09-18 - Bishops of Bluefields: "We cannot share the violence among poor peasants and indigenous"
- 2015-09-14 - Families fleeing and still clashes in Waspam, request of a Truth Commission
- 2015-09-10 - Clashes over land concern the Bishops of Bluefields: "there will be no solution if there is violence"
- 2015-07-16 - Nearly two million Central American children are undernourished