AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church: stop to the violence in Venezuela
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The complex situation in Venezuela - where, for about a month, the population have carried out demonstrations and clashes with armed groups causing more than 25 deaths (see Fides 11/03/2014) - is one of the themes discussed by the General Secretaries of the Bishops' Conferences of Latin America and the Caribbean, who met this week in Bogota (Colombia) to analyze the social, political, economic and religious reality of the region.
According to the Bishops’ note, sent to Fides, the Latin American Church says it is urgent to stop violence, because every day that goes by, the number of victims due to clashes between the government and opposition increases.
Msg. Jesus Gonzalez de Zarate, Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela, has launched an appeal "to say stop to violence. As Bishops of Venezuela, we have invited the parties to meet for dialogue, knowing that it is not easy when there are differences and misunderstandings. But it is urgent, otherwise there will be further and worse problems".
The President of the Latin American Episcopal Council (CELAM), Mgr. Carlos Aguiar, said that "it is always difficult to initiate concrete action, but we can clearly say that the path is dialogue, it is important to sit at a table and talk to analyze the reasons why there are demonstrations. Dialogue is not a judicial trial, but the way to understand what is behind each position".
The Secretary of the Episcopal Conference of Venezuela (CEV) reiterated the offer of mediation, which was launched by the Episcopal Conference, that is willing to open channels of dialogue. "The important thing is that there is a genuine desire for confrontation, on both sides. We can engage in constructive dialogue, in which everyone feels heard and valued", he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/03/2014)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene