ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - Two people were arrested after the attack carried out in a Christian prayer hall in Orissa. Following this attack, the government in Orissa deployed 70 police officers in the village of Pradhanpada, in the district of Kandhamal, in Orissa. The attack took place on 6 March by a group of Hindu fundamentalists. As reported to Fides, the police intervention aims to prevent further problems and restore normalcy.
The fundamentalists attacked the building under construction because of hostility towards the Christian faith and accuse Christian families of wanting to commit "proselytism". After the complaint lodged by Christians, some leaders of the district administration, civil society organizations and local religious communities are working towards an amicable settlement of the matter.
Fides sources say that the faithful continue to live in a state of fear. The district was the scene of anti-Christian massacres in 2008, which caused the death of 100 people and over 50 thousand displaced people. Many years have gone by since the violence committed by extremists, and unfortunately many perpetrators remain free, while discrimination against those who have returned home, in the inertia of the government and the police continue. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-08-01 - Malnourished children at risk because of very poor sanitary conditions throughout the Country
- 2014-07-31 - August 25 - Day of Remembrance for the victims of anti-Christian massacres in Orissa
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"