ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - Two people were arrested after the attack carried out in a Christian prayer hall in Orissa. Following this attack, the government in Orissa deployed 70 police officers in the village of Pradhanpada, in the district of Kandhamal, in Orissa. The attack took place on 6 March by a group of Hindu fundamentalists. As reported to Fides, the police intervention aims to prevent further problems and restore normalcy.
The fundamentalists attacked the building under construction because of hostility towards the Christian faith and accuse Christian families of wanting to commit "proselytism". After the complaint lodged by Christians, some leaders of the district administration, civil society organizations and local religious communities are working towards an amicable settlement of the matter.
Fides sources say that the faithful continue to live in a state of fear. The district was the scene of anti-Christian massacres in 2008, which caused the death of 100 people and over 50 thousand displaced people. Many years have gone by since the violence committed by extremists, and unfortunately many perpetrators remain free, while discrimination against those who have returned home, in the inertia of the government and the police continue. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-10-22 - Appeal for minorities is shared in civil society
- 2014-10-21 - The Franciscans prepare the Year for consecrated life
- 2014-10-15 - A center of excellence for technical formation regarding disadvantaged young people
- 2014-10-14 - The Franciscan Indians in the front line against violence on women
- 2014-10-10 - Christians to the government: "We are not terrorists"
- 2014-10-10 - Bosco Tea Project for more than 700 tea laborers
- 2014-10-09 - The Jesuits denounce: "600 attacks against religious minorities: stop to violence"
- 2014-10-06 - The marriage between a Christian and a Hindu annulled due to extremist group protest
- 2014-10-02 - Exposition of the relics of St. Francis Xavier
- 2014-10-01 - Closure of the professorship named after Mother Teresa