ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - Two people were arrested after the attack carried out in a Christian prayer hall in Orissa. Following this attack, the government in Orissa deployed 70 police officers in the village of Pradhanpada, in the district of Kandhamal, in Orissa. The attack took place on 6 March by a group of Hindu fundamentalists. As reported to Fides, the police intervention aims to prevent further problems and restore normalcy.
The fundamentalists attacked the building under construction because of hostility towards the Christian faith and accuse Christian families of wanting to commit "proselytism". After the complaint lodged by Christians, some leaders of the district administration, civil society organizations and local religious communities are working towards an amicable settlement of the matter.
Fides sources say that the faithful continue to live in a state of fear. The district was the scene of anti-Christian massacres in 2008, which caused the death of 100 people and over 50 thousand displaced people. Many years have gone by since the violence committed by extremists, and unfortunately many perpetrators remain free, while discrimination against those who have returned home, in the inertia of the government and the police continue. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"
- 2015-03-12 - The Delhi Police has launched a Facebook page to protect the safety of Christians
- 2015-03-11 - Forced mass sterilizations continue
- 2015-03-10 - Christians in march ask Hindu radicals to owe Mother Teresa an apology
- 2015-03-09 - The Franciscans: consecrated life at the service of the poor
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law