ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - Two people were arrested after the attack carried out in a Christian prayer hall in Orissa. Following this attack, the government in Orissa deployed 70 police officers in the village of Pradhanpada, in the district of Kandhamal, in Orissa. The attack took place on 6 March by a group of Hindu fundamentalists. As reported to Fides, the police intervention aims to prevent further problems and restore normalcy.
The fundamentalists attacked the building under construction because of hostility towards the Christian faith and accuse Christian families of wanting to commit "proselytism". After the complaint lodged by Christians, some leaders of the district administration, civil society organizations and local religious communities are working towards an amicable settlement of the matter.
Fides sources say that the faithful continue to live in a state of fear. The district was the scene of anti-Christian massacres in 2008, which caused the death of 100 people and over 50 thousand displaced people. Many years have gone by since the violence committed by extremists, and unfortunately many perpetrators remain free, while discrimination against those who have returned home, in the inertia of the government and the police continue. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh
- 2015-05-06 - 35 per cent children in India have poor lung capacity
- 2015-04-22 - Catholic schools are not "against Hindu culture"
- 2015-04-17 - Vandalizing acts against a Catholic church in Uttar Pradesh
- 2015-04-13 - Hindu extremist leader: "Sterilise Christians and Muslims in India"
- 2015-04-01 - Flood emergency in Kashmir
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"