ASIA/INDIA - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
Bhubaneswar (Agenzia Fides) - Two people were arrested after the attack carried out in a Christian prayer hall in Orissa. Following this attack, the government in Orissa deployed 70 police officers in the village of Pradhanpada, in the district of Kandhamal, in Orissa. The attack took place on 6 March by a group of Hindu fundamentalists. As reported to Fides, the police intervention aims to prevent further problems and restore normalcy.
The fundamentalists attacked the building under construction because of hostility towards the Christian faith and accuse Christian families of wanting to commit "proselytism". After the complaint lodged by Christians, some leaders of the district administration, civil society organizations and local religious communities are working towards an amicable settlement of the matter.
Fides sources say that the faithful continue to live in a state of fear. The district was the scene of anti-Christian massacres in 2008, which caused the death of 100 people and over 50 thousand displaced people. Many years have gone by since the violence committed by extremists, and unfortunately many perpetrators remain free, while discrimination against those who have returned home, in the inertia of the government and the police continue. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/03/2014)
- 2014-10-01 - Closure of the professorship named after Mother Teresa
- 2014-09-29 - The High Court: It is legitimate to declare that one does not belong to any religion
- 2014-09-26 - The Franciscans: with the Pope, commitment towards the poor, for peace, for development
- 2014-09-25 - Cardinal Gracias: "The Church supports good governance"
- 2014-09-24 - Prostitution and abuse of all kinds, in the name of tradition, for devadasi women
- 2014-09-24 - Christians arrested and beaten by Hindu extremists
- 2014-09-23 - Caritas India renews "the joy of service
- 2014-09-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishop after the flood: "In Kashmir we are like Ground Zero"
- 2014-09-16 - Cardinal Ranjith: “With Francesco to remain in the love of the Lord”
- 2014-09-16 - Bishops’ Justice and Peace Commission: a ray of hope for India’s minorities