EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
Genoa (Agenzia Fides) - "The missionary history of the Congregation starts from Genoa on December 17, 1913, when the first missionaries left for Brazil. The first missionary tent was set up in Brazil in Mar de Espanha, on January 2, 1914", recalls Don Flavio Peloso, superior general of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), in a statement sent to Fides Agency. That departure was the first opening of the Congregation beyond the borders of Italy. Today the Congregation is present in 29 countries around the world.
The Italian Provinces of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity (PSMdC) and the Orione Lay Movement (MLO) will gather in Genoa, on 8 and 9 March, to celebrate the centenary of the first missionaries who left from the port of Genoa and headed towards Latin America (see Fides 17/07/2013; 18/10/2013).
The program is as follows: Saturday, March 8, a conference on the development of the Don Orione Family missionaries in the world, while on Sunday, March 9, a short commemoration of the departure of the first missionaries will take place at the Port of Genoa, then the participants will reach the Cathedral of San Lorenzo where the Superior General of the Opera Don Orione will preside over the solemn Eucharistic celebration. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2014-07-16 - Twelve hours of continuous prayer for peace in the Holy Land
- 2014-07-11 - Bicycles to reach blind children in remote areas of Africa
- 2014-06-28 - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last
- 2014-05-23 - EUROPE/ITALY – Beatification of Mario Vergara, PIME martyr and Isidoro Ngei Ko Lat, first Burmese Blessed
- 2014-04-24 - Four young people at the service of the last will talk about their experience on the web
- 2014-03-27 - Campaign to improve diagnosis and treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis
- 2014-03-21 - EUROPE/ITALY – 24 March, Day of Missionary Martyrs: like them, we are all "witnesses" of the Gospel
- 2014-03-07 - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
- 2014-03-05 - Father Lazzaro, "discreet martyr of charity"
- 2014-02-03 - Violence and injustice in the testimonies of the Roman missionaries