EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
Genoa (Agenzia Fides) - "The missionary history of the Congregation starts from Genoa on December 17, 1913, when the first missionaries left for Brazil. The first missionary tent was set up in Brazil in Mar de Espanha, on January 2, 1914", recalls Don Flavio Peloso, superior general of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), in a statement sent to Fides Agency. That departure was the first opening of the Congregation beyond the borders of Italy. Today the Congregation is present in 29 countries around the world.
The Italian Provinces of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity (PSMdC) and the Orione Lay Movement (MLO) will gather in Genoa, on 8 and 9 March, to celebrate the centenary of the first missionaries who left from the port of Genoa and headed towards Latin America (see Fides 17/07/2013; 18/10/2013).
The program is as follows: Saturday, March 8, a conference on the development of the Don Orione Family missionaries in the world, while on Sunday, March 9, a short commemoration of the departure of the first missionaries will take place at the Port of Genoa, then the participants will reach the Cathedral of San Lorenzo where the Superior General of the Opera Don Orione will preside over the solemn Eucharistic celebration. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2015-04-13 - 150 years after the delivery of the image of Our Lady of Perpetual Help to the Redemptorists
- 2015-03-24 - Permanent Council of Cei: moment of prayer for martyrs, missionaries and lay people
- 2015-03-23 - Day of Missionary Martyrs: 1,062 missionaries killed in the world from 1980 to 2014
- 2015-03-16 - Cardinal Filoni: Africa needs encouragement and solidarity, not migration, or the purchase of weapons and looting
- 2015-01-23 - Scalabrini Missionaries open a community in Syracuse to welcome migrants
- 2014-12-10 - EUROPE/ITALY – NGO together for the rights of people with disabilities
- 2014-11-19 - National Missionary Conference: to rekindle the fire of the mission ad gentes
- 2014-11-10 - The number of Nigerian women destined for sexual slavery has tripled
- 2014-10-27 - EUROPE/ITALY – The "challenge of charity" for many "outlawed poor people" of our times
- 2014-10-03 - A year ago, the tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea, memory and heritage