Genoa (Agenzia Fides) - "The missionary history of the Congregation starts from Genoa on December 17, 1913, when the first missionaries left for Brazil. The first missionary tent was set up in Brazil in Mar de Espanha, on January 2, 1914", recalls Don Flavio Peloso, superior general of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), in a statement sent to Fides Agency. That departure was the first opening of the Congregation beyond the borders of Italy. Today the Congregation is present in 29 countries around the world.
The Italian Provinces of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity (PSMdC) and the Orione Lay Movement (MLO) will gather in Genoa, on 8 and 9 March, to celebrate the centenary of the first missionaries who left from the port of Genoa and headed towards Latin America (see Fides 17/07/2013; 18/10/2013).
The program is as follows: Saturday, March 8, a conference on the development of the Don Orione Family missionaries in the world, while on Sunday, March 9, a short commemoration of the departure of the first missionaries will take place at the Port of Genoa, then the participants will reach the Cathedral of San Lorenzo where the Superior General of the Opera Don Orione will preside over the solemn Eucharistic celebration. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)