EUROPE/ITALY - A "Missionary Year": 100 years since the arrival of the first Orionini missionaries in Brazil
Genoa (Agenzia Fides) - "The missionary history of the Congregation starts from Genoa on December 17, 1913, when the first missionaries left for Brazil. The first missionary tent was set up in Brazil in Mar de Espanha, on January 2, 1914", recalls Don Flavio Peloso, superior general of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), in a statement sent to Fides Agency. That departure was the first opening of the Congregation beyond the borders of Italy. Today the Congregation is present in 29 countries around the world.
The Italian Provinces of the Sons of Divine Providence (Opera Don Orione), the Little Missionary Sisters of Charity (PSMdC) and the Orione Lay Movement (MLO) will gather in Genoa, on 8 and 9 March, to celebrate the centenary of the first missionaries who left from the port of Genoa and headed towards Latin America (see Fides 17/07/2013; 18/10/2013).
The program is as follows: Saturday, March 8, a conference on the development of the Don Orione Family missionaries in the world, while on Sunday, March 9, a short commemoration of the departure of the first missionaries will take place at the Port of Genoa, then the participants will reach the Cathedral of San Lorenzo where the Superior General of the Opera Don Orione will preside over the solemn Eucharistic celebration. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 07/03/2014)
- 2014-12-10 - EUROPE/ITALY – NGO together for the rights of people with disabilities
- 2014-11-19 - National Missionary Conference: to rekindle the fire of the mission ad gentes
- 2014-11-10 - The number of Nigerian women destined for sexual slavery has tripled
- 2014-10-27 - EUROPE/ITALY – The "challenge of charity" for many "outlawed poor people" of our times
- 2014-10-03 - A year ago, the tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea, memory and heritage
- 2014-09-27 - 145th Salesian Missionary Expedition: to go all over the world to educate and evangelize
- 2014-09-08 - Middle East education emergency: school year at risk for millions of students
- 2014-07-16 - Twelve hours of continuous prayer for peace in the Holy Land
- 2014-07-11 - Bicycles to reach blind children in remote areas of Africa
- 2014-06-28 - A "social audio book" in defense of the Africans with albinism, the last of the last