AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Church calls for "fair justice"
Concepcion (Agenzia Fides) - Father Pablo Caceres Vicario of the Diocese of Concepción, sent by Bishop Mgr. Miguel Angel Cabello, attended the blessing of the new Palace of Justice in Horqueta (near Concepcion). As reported in a note sent to Fides, Fr. Caceres, a priest known for his criticism towards the government in power, blessed the new building, proposing a reflection on this event: "The building is beautiful, it is enviable, but we are dealing with 'Justice' and this is the reason why we have work", he said. And then added : "It is a reality that affects everyone: the judges are well aware that justice is neither fast nor cheap. Justice has a high price, poor people do not have access to justice. Justice still sells itself to the highest bidder. There are still people among you, judges, who traffic justice", he reiterated before a speechless assembly.
After the blessing, the Minister of the Supreme Court, Miguel Oscar Bajac, superintendent of the judicial district of Concepción spoke, stating: "The Church is right because this is the constant concern of the Supreme Court. You have to take the responsibility to recognize that justice is slow and expensive: we must reverse this trend".
Bajac made an appeal to his judges: "Your hands must not shake when it comes to signing judgments and decisions that help justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace
- 2014-11-14 - In defense of family rights: draft law rejected
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' Conference asks to "put a stop to corruption"