AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Church calls for "fair justice"
Concepcion (Agenzia Fides) - Father Pablo Caceres Vicario of the Diocese of Concepción, sent by Bishop Mgr. Miguel Angel Cabello, attended the blessing of the new Palace of Justice in Horqueta (near Concepcion). As reported in a note sent to Fides, Fr. Caceres, a priest known for his criticism towards the government in power, blessed the new building, proposing a reflection on this event: "The building is beautiful, it is enviable, but we are dealing with 'Justice' and this is the reason why we have work", he said. And then added : "It is a reality that affects everyone: the judges are well aware that justice is neither fast nor cheap. Justice has a high price, poor people do not have access to justice. Justice still sells itself to the highest bidder. There are still people among you, judges, who traffic justice", he reiterated before a speechless assembly.
After the blessing, the Minister of the Supreme Court, Miguel Oscar Bajac, superintendent of the judicial district of Concepción spoke, stating: "The Church is right because this is the constant concern of the Supreme Court. You have to take the responsibility to recognize that justice is slow and expensive: we must reverse this trend".
Bajac made an appeal to his judges: "Your hands must not shake when it comes to signing judgments and decisions that help justice". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/03/2014)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"