ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: the Pope's visit will boost the peace process
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - The visit Pope Francis will carry out in the Holy Land at the end of May will give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians. This was written by Patriarch Fouad Twal of Jerusalem of the Latins in the pastoral letter for Lent issued in Arabic and relaunched by the official bodies of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The patriarchal message, as well as proposing again the traditional practices that mark Lent - prayer, fasting, almsgiving, interest in approaching the sacrament of confession - invites the faithful to prepare for the upcoming visit of the Bishop of Rome "as pilgrim in places that the Lord blessed us with his birth, his baptism, his preaching, his death and resurrection". The Pope - refers t Patriarch Twal "will come to confirm our faith, to intensify ecumenical relations and interreligious dialogue and give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians, strengthening relations between the Vatican and each of the Countries that he will visit: Jordan, Palestine and Israel". As of now, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem invites "the greatest possible number of the faithful to participate in Massess that the Holy Father will celebrate, one at the international stadium in Amman (May 24), the other in the square of the Nativity in Bethlehem (May 25).
Since the end of February a special media commission has been established in view of the papal visit by the Assembly of Catholic ordinary Bishops of the Holy Land http://popefrancisholyland2014.lpj.org, accessible in 7 languages, which provides documentation regarding the next papal pilgrimage to the Holy Land and his intentions. Meanwhile, on Thursday afternoon, March 6th an exhibition will be inaugurated at the hall of the Convent of St. Saviour in Jerusalem, titled "Paul VI in the Holy Land", held under the patronage of the Custody of the Holy Land, which presents the public with photos and historical documents regarding the journey Pope Paul VI carried out in Jerusalem in 1964. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge