ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: the Pope's visit will boost the peace process
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - The visit Pope Francis will carry out in the Holy Land at the end of May will give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians. This was written by Patriarch Fouad Twal of Jerusalem of the Latins in the pastoral letter for Lent issued in Arabic and relaunched by the official bodies of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The patriarchal message, as well as proposing again the traditional practices that mark Lent - prayer, fasting, almsgiving, interest in approaching the sacrament of confession - invites the faithful to prepare for the upcoming visit of the Bishop of Rome "as pilgrim in places that the Lord blessed us with his birth, his baptism, his preaching, his death and resurrection". The Pope - refers t Patriarch Twal "will come to confirm our faith, to intensify ecumenical relations and interreligious dialogue and give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians, strengthening relations between the Vatican and each of the Countries that he will visit: Jordan, Palestine and Israel". As of now, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem invites "the greatest possible number of the faithful to participate in Massess that the Holy Father will celebrate, one at the international stadium in Amman (May 24), the other in the square of the Nativity in Bethlehem (May 25).
Since the end of February a special media commission has been established in view of the papal visit by the Assembly of Catholic ordinary Bishops of the Holy Land http://popefrancisholyland2014.lpj.org, accessible in 7 languages, which provides documentation regarding the next papal pilgrimage to the Holy Land and his intentions. Meanwhile, on Thursday afternoon, March 6th an exhibition will be inaugurated at the hall of the Convent of St. Saviour in Jerusalem, titled "Paul VI in the Holy Land", held under the patronage of the Custody of the Holy Land, which presents the public with photos and historical documents regarding the journey Pope Paul VI carried out in Jerusalem in 1964. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge