ASIA/HOLY LAND - Patriarch Twal: the Pope's visit will boost the peace process
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) - The visit Pope Francis will carry out in the Holy Land at the end of May will give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians. This was written by Patriarch Fouad Twal of Jerusalem of the Latins in the pastoral letter for Lent issued in Arabic and relaunched by the official bodies of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The patriarchal message, as well as proposing again the traditional practices that mark Lent - prayer, fasting, almsgiving, interest in approaching the sacrament of confession - invites the faithful to prepare for the upcoming visit of the Bishop of Rome "as pilgrim in places that the Lord blessed us with his birth, his baptism, his preaching, his death and resurrection". The Pope - refers t Patriarch Twal "will come to confirm our faith, to intensify ecumenical relations and interreligious dialogue and give a new impetus to the peace process between Israelis and Palestinians, strengthening relations between the Vatican and each of the Countries that he will visit: Jordan, Palestine and Israel". As of now, the Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem invites "the greatest possible number of the faithful to participate in Massess that the Holy Father will celebrate, one at the international stadium in Amman (May 24), the other in the square of the Nativity in Bethlehem (May 25).
Since the end of February a special media commission has been established in view of the papal visit by the Assembly of Catholic ordinary Bishops of the Holy Land http://popefrancisholyland2014.lpj.org, accessible in 7 languages, which provides documentation regarding the next papal pilgrimage to the Holy Land and his intentions. Meanwhile, on Thursday afternoon, March 6th an exhibition will be inaugurated at the hall of the Convent of St. Saviour in Jerusalem, titled "Paul VI in the Holy Land", held under the patronage of the Custody of the Holy Land, which presents the public with photos and historical documents regarding the journey Pope Paul VI carried out in Jerusalem in 1964. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - Water emergency in Gaza, initiatives of AGIRE network
- 2014-09-22 - The Catholic Bishops: the recognition of the "Aramean" nationality aims to divide the Palestinian Christians from others
- 2014-09-17 - 240,000 children return to school in Gaza
- 2014-09-17 - Patriarch Twal: the presence of Christian immigrants is an asset for the local church
- 2014-09-12 - Catholic Episcopal Commission: pilgrims are messengers of peace between Palestinians and Israelis
- 2014-09-10 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – US Catholic Bishops make Holy Land pilgrimage to 'pray for peace'
- 2014-09-09 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – New equipe for missionary animation in the land of Jesus
- 2014-09-04 - Caritas Jerusalem: in Gaza 400,000 children need psychological care
- 2014-09-02 - Latin Patriarchal delegation visits Gaza: “it is like the cities devastated by World War II”
- 2014-08-30 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Catholic schools cancel strike, but Israeli government talks of ‘take over’