AFRICA/TANZANIA – Zanzibar police says “no religious motives behind bomb blasts”
Dar es Salaam (Agenzia Fides) - “Exaggeration should be avoided ; there are neither religious nor political motives behind the violence” said chief of Zanzibar police, Hamdani Omar, in a press conference in Zanzibar the capital city. “We are hunting a gang of youths bent on destabilising the country ” he added. On 24 February two home made bombs exploded not far from the Anglican cathedral and a coffee bar frequented by tourists, without causing victims. On 23 February there was another explosion close to the church of the Evangelical Assemblies of God, Tanzania.
Fides already knew of the killing last year 2013 in Zanzibar on 17 February of Fr. Evarist Mushi, and that another local priest, Fr Ambrose Mkenda, had been attacked and received serious wounds in 2012. In recent years several places of worship, including at least three Catholic churches, have been damaged or looted in attacks after crowds had been incited by Islamic extremists. The Catholic Bishops of Tanzania have denounced several times messages of intimidation in print media, dvd, cd, radio against the local Church and local church leaders. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014)
AFRICA/TANZANIA – ZANZIBAR POLICE SAYS “NO RELIGIOUS MOTIVES BEHIND BOMB BLASTS”
- 2015-10-06 - Appeal from Christian leaders: "No to ethnic or religious manipulations before the vote"
- 2015-06-19 - Bishop of Mpanda to the young: "Go and vote in the October elections"
- 2015-03-31 - Constitutional referendum at risk for the controversy over Islamic Courts
- 2015-02-18 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Kidnapping of one year old albino toddler triggers indignation
- 2014-10-17 - Activities and programs for children and adolescents infected with HIV
- 2014-08-06 - Some Tanzanian citizens arrested in connection with the assaults in Lamu, causing 100 deaths
- 2014-07-12 - The Bishops to the constituents: "You have a moral duty to give the Country a new constitution"
- 2014-06-25 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – A Tanzanian religious woman killed during a street robbery
- 2014-04-09 - "Violence against Christians derives from religious extremism but also from economic tensions", say the Bishops
- 2014-02-28 - AFRICA/TANZANIA – Zanzibar police says “no religious motives behind bomb blasts”