ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) – In the evening of 27 February a gang of men armed with machine guns and hand grenades attacked the head offices of the Assyrian Democratic Organization (ADO), at Qamishli, in the north eastern province of Jazira, threatening to destroy the place and terrorising the militants present. According to the Ankawa.com, web site leading members of the organisation recognised police agents among the assailants. The city is still controlled by government troops linked with Kurdish military.
The intimidating was against an Organisation founded in Syria in 1957 with the purpose of safeguarding the identity instances of Assyrian, Syrian and Chaldean peoples living in the area who share the Christian faith and also claim bonds of continuity with the peoples and civilisations present in Mesopotamia prior to the Arab-Islamic conquest. The Syrian regime has always prevented the Organisation from participating in the political life of the country. From the start of the present Syrian conflict, the ADO has sided with the Opposition, but more than once it has complained of marginalisation and targeted exclusion within the galaxy of anti-Assad factions and groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette