ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) – In the evening of 27 February a gang of men armed with machine guns and hand grenades attacked the head offices of the Assyrian Democratic Organization (ADO), at Qamishli, in the north eastern province of Jazira, threatening to destroy the place and terrorising the militants present. According to the Ankawa.com, web site leading members of the organisation recognised police agents among the assailants. The city is still controlled by government troops linked with Kurdish military.
The intimidating was against an Organisation founded in Syria in 1957 with the purpose of safeguarding the identity instances of Assyrian, Syrian and Chaldean peoples living in the area who share the Christian faith and also claim bonds of continuity with the peoples and civilisations present in Mesopotamia prior to the Arab-Islamic conquest. The Syrian regime has always prevented the Organisation from participating in the political life of the country. From the start of the present Syrian conflict, the ADO has sided with the Opposition, but more than once it has complained of marginalisation and targeted exclusion within the galaxy of anti-Assad factions and groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture
- 2015-02-27 - Anguish for Christians held hostage by jihadists; Syrian Catholic Archbishop Hindo: avoid unnecessary alarm
- 2015-02-26 - The jihadists of the Islamic State deport Christian prisoners of the villages of Khabur
- 2015-02-25 - Christian villages attacked: more than 100 hostages in the hands of the jihadists; Archbishop Hindo denounces the "wretched" choices of the West
- 2015-02-24 - Islamic State jihadists attack Christian villages along the river Khabur
- 2015-02-20 - Syrian-Orthodox priest detained by Kurds is released
- 2015-02-19 - Orthodox priest and laity arrested by Kurd military
- 2015-02-06 - Kurdish Militia regain control of Tel Hormuz, reestablished the cross removed by jihadists
- 2015-02-06 - Bombing in Damascus, the Franciscan monastery attacked in the area of Bab Touma