ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) – In the evening of 27 February a gang of men armed with machine guns and hand grenades attacked the head offices of the Assyrian Democratic Organization (ADO), at Qamishli, in the north eastern province of Jazira, threatening to destroy the place and terrorising the militants present. According to the Ankawa.com, web site leading members of the organisation recognised police agents among the assailants. The city is still controlled by government troops linked with Kurdish military.
The intimidating was against an Organisation founded in Syria in 1957 with the purpose of safeguarding the identity instances of Assyrian, Syrian and Chaldean peoples living in the area who share the Christian faith and also claim bonds of continuity with the peoples and civilisations present in Mesopotamia prior to the Arab-Islamic conquest. The Syrian regime has always prevented the Organisation from participating in the political life of the country. From the start of the present Syrian conflict, the ADO has sided with the Opposition, but more than once it has complained of marginalisation and targeted exclusion within the galaxy of anti-Assad factions and groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette
- 2015-08-05 - The "Water project" for Aleppo to provide water to the martyred Syrian city has concluded
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear