ASIA/SYRIA - Attack on Assyrian Democratic Organization head offices
Qamishli (Agenzia Fides) – In the evening of 27 February a gang of men armed with machine guns and hand grenades attacked the head offices of the Assyrian Democratic Organization (ADO), at Qamishli, in the north eastern province of Jazira, threatening to destroy the place and terrorising the militants present. According to the Ankawa.com, web site leading members of the organisation recognised police agents among the assailants. The city is still controlled by government troops linked with Kurdish military.
The intimidating was against an Organisation founded in Syria in 1957 with the purpose of safeguarding the identity instances of Assyrian, Syrian and Chaldean peoples living in the area who share the Christian faith and also claim bonds of continuity with the peoples and civilisations present in Mesopotamia prior to the Arab-Islamic conquest. The Syrian regime has always prevented the Organisation from participating in the political life of the country. From the start of the present Syrian conflict, the ADO has sided with the Opposition, but more than once it has complained of marginalisation and targeted exclusion within the galaxy of anti-Assad factions and groups. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers