ASIA/HOLY LAND – Attack on Catholic parish in Gaza
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) – During the night of 26 to 27 February unidentified assailants caused a bomb explosion in the courtyard of the Latin Catholic parish church in Gaza, in the southern district of Zeitun. The blast in the heart of the night caused no damage to persons or buildings, but threatening words against Christians were found written on the walls surrounding the church..
“The episode is serious” Fides was told by Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate in Jerusalem “however the parish priest and his assistants refuse to be intimated: they intend to continue offering their service to the people of Gaza. Immediate condemnation of the attack came from the government of Hamas. Representatives of Hamas expressed solidarity and the intention to promptly pursue the perpetrators. This was of great comfort to us”.
The Palestine Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) condemned the bomb blast demanding and in-depth investigation to identify those responsible.
This is not the first time that Christians are targeted in Gaza – where power has been in the hands of Hamas islamist organization since 2007. In 2011 a bomb was thrown at the director of the local Anglican Hospital, who was however unhurt. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
ASIA/HOLY LAND – ATTACK ON CATHOLIC PARISH IN GAZA
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge