ASIA/HOLY LAND – Attack on Catholic parish in Gaza
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) – During the night of 26 to 27 February unidentified assailants caused a bomb explosion in the courtyard of the Latin Catholic parish church in Gaza, in the southern district of Zeitun. The blast in the heart of the night caused no damage to persons or buildings, but threatening words against Christians were found written on the walls surrounding the church..
“The episode is serious” Fides was told by Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate in Jerusalem “however the parish priest and his assistants refuse to be intimated: they intend to continue offering their service to the people of Gaza. Immediate condemnation of the attack came from the government of Hamas. Representatives of Hamas expressed solidarity and the intention to promptly pursue the perpetrators. This was of great comfort to us”.
The Palestine Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) condemned the bomb blast demanding and in-depth investigation to identify those responsible.
This is not the first time that Christians are targeted in Gaza – where power has been in the hands of Hamas islamist organization since 2007. In 2011 a bomb was thrown at the director of the local Anglican Hospital, who was however unhurt. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
ASIA/HOLY LAND – ATTACK ON CATHOLIC PARISH IN GAZA
- 2015-08-29 - A year after the last war, the kindergarten of the Latin parish in Gaza has been renovated
- 2015-08-27 - Christian schools: "positive" meeting with President Rivlin. But the crisis remains open
- 2015-08-26 - The Church of Jerusalem in aid of Sudanese and Eritrean asylum seekers
- 2015-08-21 - Mass of thanksgiving for the two holy Palestinians
- 2015-07-14 - Local European Union statement: "regret and concern" on the separation barrier in the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-07-09 - High school diploma: excellent results in the schools of the Latin Patriarchate in Palestine
- 2015-07-08 - ASIA/HOLY LAND – Surprising about face of the Supreme Court of Israel: the green light to the construction of the "separation Wall" in the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-07-02 - "Terra Sancta Museum" ceremony of laying the foundation stone
- 2015-07-01 - New jihadist threats to the Christians in Jerusalem. Palestinian leaders: suspicious operations
- 2015-06-27 - "New" jihadist acronym threatens Christians in Jerusalem