ASIA/HOLY LAND – Attack on Catholic parish in Gaza
Gaza (Agenzia Fides) – During the night of 26 to 27 February unidentified assailants caused a bomb explosion in the courtyard of the Latin Catholic parish church in Gaza, in the southern district of Zeitun. The blast in the heart of the night caused no damage to persons or buildings, but threatening words against Christians were found written on the walls surrounding the church..
“The episode is serious” Fides was told by Bishop William Shomali, Patriarchal Vicar of the Latin Patriarchate in Jerusalem “however the parish priest and his assistants refuse to be intimated: they intend to continue offering their service to the people of Gaza. Immediate condemnation of the attack came from the government of Hamas. Representatives of Hamas expressed solidarity and the intention to promptly pursue the perpetrators. This was of great comfort to us”.
The Palestine Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) condemned the bomb blast demanding and in-depth investigation to identify those responsible.
This is not the first time that Christians are targeted in Gaza – where power has been in the hands of Hamas islamist organization since 2007. In 2011 a bomb was thrown at the director of the local Anglican Hospital, who was however unhurt. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 28/2/2014).
- 2014-08-06 - In Gaza a child dies every hour. There is no electricity, water and essential medical services
- 2014-08-06 - Appeal of the Patriarch of Jerusalem to Aid to the Church in Need for the victims of Gaza
- 2014-08-01 - The Patriarch of Jerusalem, Twal: the truce is not needed if Gaza remains a desperate prison
- 2014-08-01 - Prayers and fasting for peace in Gaza and throughout the Middle East
- 2014-08-01 - The Forgiveness of Assisi dedicated to peace in the Middle East
- 2014-07-29 - Bombing near the Catholic parish in Gaza. School devastated
- 2014-07-24 - Caritas Jerusalem rescues thousands of Muslims, who have taken shelter in schools and churches in Gaza
- 2014-07-22 - Patriarch Emeritus Sabbah: there is no war in Gaza, but a useless massacre
- 2014-07-18 - The Israeli army enters Gaza. Pope's message to the local Catholic community
- 2014-07-17 - Gaza, three missiles close to the Catholic parish. Scuffle to look for food during the "humanitarian truce"