AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) – The people of Katanga welcome the announcement by the command of MONUSCO (UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo) of a decision to increase its Peacekeeping troops in the southern Congolese province disrupted due to violence by the Bakata-Katanga secessionist group.
The additional UN troops will be deployed to Pweto, a town which, with Mitwaba and Manono, forms what is known as “triangle of death”, due to violence on the part of Mai-warriors calling for a sharing of resources between north and south Katanga, and on the part of the Bakata-Katanga rebels, demanding independence from the province. UN reports say that in Katanga violence has displaced at least 400.000 persons.
The situation in the situation was recently denounced in a Pastoral Letter issued by the Bishops’ Conference of the Ecclesiastic province of Lubumbashi (see Fides 21/2/2014).
Katanga is considered to be potentially the most prosperous province in the Democratic Republic of Congo, mainly because of several copper mines which are still only fully exploited in the south. This fact causes tension between north and south of the province , which comes in addition to tension due to national politics. MONUSCO has about 20,000 troops of which only 400 deployed in Katanga. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 25/2/2014)
- 2014-04-03 - New incursions of Rwandan rebels denounced by civil society in North Kivu
- 2014-04-02 - Kasenga launches an alarm on the resumption of the violence carried out by the Bakata Katanga
- 2014-03-31 - The creation of an African Criminal Court is urgently needed" said a scholar at the Catholic University of Congo
- 2014-03-24 - More than 250 Congolese refugees drown while trying to return home from Uganda
- 2014-03-11 - To improve road communications in view of the national pilgrimage for the 50th anniversary of the martyrdom of Blessed Anuarite
- 2014-03-04 - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines