AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - At least 47 people were killed in an attack carried out by Boko Haram members in the city of Bama, Borno State (northern Nigeria). The attackers also set fire to the ancient palace of the local Sultan. Earlier, men of the sect had ambushed the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, while he was crossing the area. The governor escaped unhurt.
Boko Haram members are also suspected of having attacked the residence of the commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, Major-General Tukur Buratai in the village of Buratai, always in the Borno State. The JTF has the responsibility of protecting oil installations in southern Nigeria, threatened by other armed movements that have nothing to do with Boko Haram, that instead operates in the north-east. The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has threatened to even hit the Nigeria oil region, so far spared by the actions of the extremist sect. (L.M.) Agency (20/02/2014)
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest
- 2015-06-03 - Boko Haram hits Maiduguri again
- 2015-06-02 - A priest killed in an attempted robbery
- 2015-06-01 - "Let us pray for the new President" says the President of the Episcopal Conference