AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - At least 47 people were killed in an attack carried out by Boko Haram members in the city of Bama, Borno State (northern Nigeria). The attackers also set fire to the ancient palace of the local Sultan. Earlier, men of the sect had ambushed the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, while he was crossing the area. The governor escaped unhurt.
Boko Haram members are also suspected of having attacked the residence of the commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, Major-General Tukur Buratai in the village of Buratai, always in the Borno State. The JTF has the responsibility of protecting oil installations in southern Nigeria, threatened by other armed movements that have nothing to do with Boko Haram, that instead operates in the north-east. The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has threatened to even hit the Nigeria oil region, so far spared by the actions of the extremist sect. (L.M.) Agency (20/02/2014)
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"