AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - At least 47 people were killed in an attack carried out by Boko Haram members in the city of Bama, Borno State (northern Nigeria). The attackers also set fire to the ancient palace of the local Sultan. Earlier, men of the sect had ambushed the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, while he was crossing the area. The governor escaped unhurt.
Boko Haram members are also suspected of having attacked the residence of the commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, Major-General Tukur Buratai in the village of Buratai, always in the Borno State. The JTF has the responsibility of protecting oil installations in southern Nigeria, threatened by other armed movements that have nothing to do with Boko Haram, that instead operates in the north-east. The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has threatened to even hit the Nigeria oil region, so far spared by the actions of the extremist sect. (L.M.) Agency (20/02/2014)
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"