AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - At least 47 people were killed in an attack carried out by Boko Haram members in the city of Bama, Borno State (northern Nigeria). The attackers also set fire to the ancient palace of the local Sultan. Earlier, men of the sect had ambushed the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, while he was crossing the area. The governor escaped unhurt.
Boko Haram members are also suspected of having attacked the residence of the commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, Major-General Tukur Buratai in the village of Buratai, always in the Borno State. The JTF has the responsibility of protecting oil installations in southern Nigeria, threatened by other armed movements that have nothing to do with Boko Haram, that instead operates in the north-east. The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has threatened to even hit the Nigeria oil region, so far spared by the actions of the extremist sect. (L.M.) Agency (20/02/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - There are 25 cities in the hands of Boko Haram: the complaint of the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2014-09-16 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – Death sentence for military: insecurity symptom among troops combatting Boko Haram
- 2014-09-15 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – At least 2,500 Catholics killed in violence by Boko Haram, Bishop of Maiduguri reports
- 2014-09-13 - "There is no fighting in Maiduguri, but the army patrols the churches"
- 2014-09-10 - Not even its Nigerian sponsors can control Boko Haram, now an international organisation
- 2014-09-06 - “Christians, but also Muslims, flee from Boko Haram” say local Church sources
- 2014-09-04 - “What is happening in the north of Nigeria is similar to what happened in Iraq” says a priest in Abuja
- 2014-08-22 - More than 11,000 people fleeing due to the conquest of their city by Boko Haram
- 2014-08-20 - "Ill-gotten wealth from oil bunkering could be used to destabilize", said the Bishop of Umuahia
- 2014-08-19 - AFRICA/NIGERIA – "It is worrying to see Boko Haram trying to conquer territories", said the Archbishop of Lagos