AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
Abuja (Agenzia Fides ) - At least 47 people were killed in an attack carried out by Boko Haram members in the city of Bama, Borno State (northern Nigeria). The attackers also set fire to the ancient palace of the local Sultan. Earlier, men of the sect had ambushed the convoy of the Governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima, while he was crossing the area. The governor escaped unhurt.
Boko Haram members are also suspected of having attacked the residence of the commander of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in the Niger Delta, Major-General Tukur Buratai in the village of Buratai, always in the Borno State. The JTF has the responsibility of protecting oil installations in southern Nigeria, threatened by other armed movements that have nothing to do with Boko Haram, that instead operates in the north-east. The Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, has threatened to even hit the Nigeria oil region, so far spared by the actions of the extremist sect. (L.M.) Agency (20/02/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - The bombing in Abuja 15 days after the shootings in which 20 suspected members of Boko Haram were killed
- 2014-04-14 - Bombing in Abuja: "the victims of the Boko Haram and Al -Qaeda alliance are poor workers", said a priest
- 2014-04-11 - Catholic media practitioners have been called upon to use their profession to bring an end to communal clashes and violence in Nigeria
- 2014-03-31 - "If war crimes were really committed, Nigerians would consider such acts deplorable, but let us first verify the facts", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-03-28 - Cardinal Onaiyekan: "Boko Haram insurgency is an anomaly in the socio-religious environment of the Nigerian nation which does not truly reflect the Country’s Muslim/Christian relationship"
- 2014-03-21 - The government announces the "carrot and stick" approach to defeat Boko Haram: "it should have been used before", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-03-17 - "We are deeply worried" about the recent massacre, say the Bishops of Nigeria
- 2014-03-12 - Some Catholic and Anglican Bishops: "fight against corruption to defeat Boko Haram"
- 2014-03-11 - Boko Haram: over 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed since 2009
- 2014-02-27 - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders