ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
Jaipur (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the precariousness of health services and the consequent inadequate care, 78 thousand children in India die every year due to congenital heart disease. According to information gathered by Fides Agency by the local health authorities and by the Mahatma Gandhi Cardiac and Critical Care Center in Jaipur, in 150 000 children are born with congenital heart disease every year in India. The high rate of ignorance and lack of awareness, along with poor health facilities in the country, have further aggravated the situation and most of these children cannot survive.
In addition, heart attacks or heart problems also affect many young adults between 30 and 40 years of age. To reduce the incidence of heart disease experts suggest a proper low-fat diet, combined with adequate rest. Among the contributing factors of heart attacks the doctors of the Center in Jaipur have highlighted diabetes, high blood pressure, psychological stress, high cholesterol level. According to the data of the India Education Trust, India has the highest number of deaths in Asia due to heart attacks, emphasizing the need for a greater number and better equipped specialized centers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2015-07-03 - One hundred years of mission in the media for the Daughters of St. Paul
- 2015-07-02 - Stop violence against women
- 2015-07-01 - A radio station to help farmers in Bundelkhand
- 2015-06-27 - Anti-Christian Violence in Kerala
- 2015-06-12 - The Director of the PMS: "Farmers and religious minorities abandoned by the Indian government"
- 2015-06-02 - Suicides of farmers, a scourge of society
- 2015-06-01 - The Salesians start a center for renewable energy in the Northeast
- 2015-05-29 - Street dentists for the poor: a widespread service
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh