ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
Jaipur (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the precariousness of health services and the consequent inadequate care, 78 thousand children in India die every year due to congenital heart disease. According to information gathered by Fides Agency by the local health authorities and by the Mahatma Gandhi Cardiac and Critical Care Center in Jaipur, in 150 000 children are born with congenital heart disease every year in India. The high rate of ignorance and lack of awareness, along with poor health facilities in the country, have further aggravated the situation and most of these children cannot survive.
In addition, heart attacks or heart problems also affect many young adults between 30 and 40 years of age. To reduce the incidence of heart disease experts suggest a proper low-fat diet, combined with adequate rest. Among the contributing factors of heart attacks the doctors of the Center in Jaipur have highlighted diabetes, high blood pressure, psychological stress, high cholesterol level. According to the data of the India Education Trust, India has the highest number of deaths in Asia due to heart attacks, emphasizing the need for a greater number and better equipped specialized centers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - The Bishops to the President: We will give a great contribution to the country
- 2014-03-27 - Street children who live in train stations rescued by a Catholic priest
- 2014-03-21 - "Do justice": the Indian Church next to the weakest
- 2014-03-14 - Three convicted and six acquitted for the rape of a nun in the massacres of Christians in Orissa
- 2014-03-12 - "A just peace! "Church's solidarity with the people of Syria
- 2014-03-10 - Christians in Goa ask: To postpone the elections scheduled on Holy Thursday
- 2014-03-10 - Attack in a prayer hall in Orissa, two people arrested
- 2014-03-07 - Where to be born female is considered "a disaster "
- 2014-03-05 - Religious freedom at risk and violence against minorities, in view of the general elections
- 2014-03-03 - Two men accused of having participated in the murder of the missionary Graham Staines have been acquitted