ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
Jaipur (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the precariousness of health services and the consequent inadequate care, 78 thousand children in India die every year due to congenital heart disease. According to information gathered by Fides Agency by the local health authorities and by the Mahatma Gandhi Cardiac and Critical Care Center in Jaipur, in 150 000 children are born with congenital heart disease every year in India. The high rate of ignorance and lack of awareness, along with poor health facilities in the country, have further aggravated the situation and most of these children cannot survive.
In addition, heart attacks or heart problems also affect many young adults between 30 and 40 years of age. To reduce the incidence of heart disease experts suggest a proper low-fat diet, combined with adequate rest. Among the contributing factors of heart attacks the doctors of the Center in Jaipur have highlighted diabetes, high blood pressure, psychological stress, high cholesterol level. According to the data of the India Education Trust, India has the highest number of deaths in Asia due to heart attacks, emphasizing the need for a greater number and better equipped specialized centers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2014-07-23 - ASIA/INDIA – Prison Ministry: the Church denounces overcrowding and is inspired by Fr. Kolbe
- 2014-07-23 - A special school to restore dignity and social role for the disabled
- 2014-07-22 - Religious violence increases in Uttar Pradesh
- 2014-07-09 - There is no end to poverty: it is estimated that there will be an increase of 100 million poor Indians
- 2014-07-09 - The drama of tea pickers left to themselves
- 2014-07-01 - Helping indigenous women and promoting their social and economic development
- 2014-06-20 - A Catholic Dalit is Deputy Prime Minister of the new state of Telangana
- 2014-06-14 - A Bishop: "Communicating the truth, without exagerating with violence against Christians"
- 2014-06-13 - Christians threatened after the murder of a believer in Orissa
- 2014-06-10 - existent sanitation facilities in the state schools of Madurai district