ASIA/INDIA - 78 thousand children die of congenital heart disease every year
Jaipur (Agenzia Fides) - Because of the precariousness of health services and the consequent inadequate care, 78 thousand children in India die every year due to congenital heart disease. According to information gathered by Fides Agency by the local health authorities and by the Mahatma Gandhi Cardiac and Critical Care Center in Jaipur, in 150 000 children are born with congenital heart disease every year in India. The high rate of ignorance and lack of awareness, along with poor health facilities in the country, have further aggravated the situation and most of these children cannot survive.
In addition, heart attacks or heart problems also affect many young adults between 30 and 40 years of age. To reduce the incidence of heart disease experts suggest a proper low-fat diet, combined with adequate rest. Among the contributing factors of heart attacks the doctors of the Center in Jaipur have highlighted diabetes, high blood pressure, psychological stress, high cholesterol level. According to the data of the India Education Trust, India has the highest number of deaths in Asia due to heart attacks, emphasizing the need for a greater number and better equipped specialized centers. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2015-01-26 - Christians: "Obama speak with Narendra Modi about religious minorities"
- 2015-01-20 - ASIA/INDIA – The men who devastated a church in Delhi are Sikhs: three people arrested
- 2014-12-23 - At Christmas, the "Day of good governance": Christians approve
- 2014-12-19 - Education, food and protection for orphaned girls
- 2014-12-19 - Christian leaders: "Christmas with a heavy heart because of the violence against Churches"
- 2014-12-16 - Year of the consecrated life: Sisters in brothels to save the enslaved prostitutes
- 2014-12-11 - Catholics: "The government must not encourage Hindu extremists"
- 2014-12-09 - Human Rights Day: Bishops focus on minorities, religious, tribals and Dalit
- 2014-12-06 - Artists of different faiths reflect on Saint Francis Xavier
- 2014-12-05 - ASIA/INDIA – Protection for churches and religious freedom: Franciscans mobilise