ASIA/MYANMAR - Doing good is no longer a "subversive activity": Caritas in Myanmar for the poor and the excluded
Yangon (Agenzia Fides) - Caritas in Myanmar, "Karuna" in the local language (which means "compassion") "has been at the service of the poor and the excluded since the dark days of dictatorship and oppression, when doing good is considered a subversive activity": this is what Mgr. Charles Maung Bo, Archbishop of Yangon, said during the meeting, held in the city of Burma, which gathers all the members of the "Caritas family" from all the dioceses of the country. In the meeting, as reported to Fides, "Karuna" highlights its program and future commitment.
"I wish this 'army of compassion' achieves a great victory against poverty and human suffering", said Msg. Bo, urging the delegates present and praising the process of registration and official recognition of the organization. In the note sent to Fides by the Archbishop, the days when "the Christians were treated like criminals because they helped the poor" was recalled. The Archbishop now talks of "bright hope" for the future prospects, in a rapidly changing country. Archbishop Bo points out that, in the new phase the country is experiencing, the risk is that not everyone can enjoy prosperity: "That is why we must continue to raise our voice against injustice, poverty, against land grabbing, abuses on minorities" he says.
"This country in 1950 was among the richest countries in Southeast Asia. Now we are one of the least developed countries with the highest maternal mortality rate and school dropout in Southeast Asia", he says, adding,"We are a country that is not lacking in resources, but justice". The Archbishop cites millions of poor, excluded, marginalized, internally displaced persons, victims of drugs and mafia. "They are all brothers in whom Christ makes himself present, that Karuna is called to reach, help, comfort, support". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blasphemy laws undermine the rule of law
- 2015-07-20 - Cardinal Bo to the leaders of the nation: "Be good parents"
- 2015-05-28 - Radical Buddhist groups: "The Rohingya are not Burmese"
- 2015-05-25 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Cardinal Bo to the Burmese Government: "Compassion and mercy towards the boat people"
- 2015-03-04 - Cardinal Bo: "The seven swords that pierce Mary's heart in Myanmar"
- 2015-01-29 - "Remove a cross in the state of Chin": the order worries Christians
- 2015-01-23 - No to impunity for rape and murder of Kachin women
- 2015-01-08 - The Church joyfully welcomes the appointment of the first Burmese Cardinal in history
- 2014-11-25 - In the process of reforms underway, even the release of child soldiers
- 2014-11-24 - Bishops' Message for the Jubilee: "A new season of hope"