VATICAN - Another priest among the pastoral workers killed in 2013
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Another priest has to be added to the list of pastoral workers killed in 2013 (published by Fides on 03/01/2014): We are talking about Fr. András Szarvas, who was killed on September 11, 2013 in Hungary. Therefore 23 is the number of pastoral workers killed in the past year, of whom 20 priests.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, Fr. András Szarvas was born in 1940 in Nógrád, in northern Hungary . He was also an honorary citizen in Cibakháza (diocese of Vac). He was a very much appreciated priest, especially in helping the poor and all those who turned to him.
His body was found in the basement of the parish. The author of the crime, a young 19 –year-old self-confessed, was captured by the police in a public park in the capital, while he was trying to hide. According to the villagers, he most likely knew the pastor and perhaps had also received some help from him. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans
- 2014-08-13 - Declaration of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
- 2014-08-12 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni leaves today for Iraq.
- 2014-08-11 - Pope Francis meets with Cardinal Fernando Filoni, his Envoy in Iraq
- 2014-07-14 - VATICAN – Pope makes heartfelt appeal "to continue to pray for peace in the Holy Land"
- 2014-06-14 - Message of His Holiness Francis for the World Mission Day 2014