VATICAN - Another priest among the pastoral workers killed in 2013
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - Another priest has to be added to the list of pastoral workers killed in 2013 (published by Fides on 03/01/2014): We are talking about Fr. András Szarvas, who was killed on September 11, 2013 in Hungary. Therefore 23 is the number of pastoral workers killed in the past year, of whom 20 priests.
According to information sent to Fides Agency, Fr. András Szarvas was born in 1940 in Nógrád, in northern Hungary . He was also an honorary citizen in Cibakháza (diocese of Vac). He was a very much appreciated priest, especially in helping the poor and all those who turned to him.
His body was found in the basement of the parish. The author of the crime, a young 19 –year-old self-confessed, was captured by the police in a public park in the capital, while he was trying to hide. According to the villagers, he most likely knew the pastor and perhaps had also received some help from him. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans