AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The second round of peace talks started yesterday, 11 February, in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, between the two rival factions of the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement, the ruling party ), lead respectively by President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar, who have sunk South Sudan into the most serious crisis since its independence.
At the opening of the talks, Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Hailemariam Desalegn, launched an appeal to the South Sudanese leaders to commit themselves effectively to reaching an agreement before South Sudan becomes the center of a regional conflict, with the involvement of other States in the area. Previously, the Ethiopian Premier, who is President of IGAD, had criticized the military intervention in Uganda alongside government troops against the rebels of Machar.
The representative of the South Sudan Council of Churches (the organization that brings together the major Christian denominations in the Country) stressed the urgency of finding a solution to the conflict: "We are tired of war", he said. South Sudan became independent in 2011, after a long process at the end of a twenty-year conflict with the government of Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The Bishops: "Do not exclude the Church and civil society from peace talks"