AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - The second round of peace talks started yesterday, 11 February, in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, between the two rival factions of the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement, the ruling party ), lead respectively by President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar, who have sunk South Sudan into the most serious crisis since its independence.
At the opening of the talks, Prime Minister of Ethiopia, Hailemariam Desalegn, launched an appeal to the South Sudanese leaders to commit themselves effectively to reaching an agreement before South Sudan becomes the center of a regional conflict, with the involvement of other States in the area. Previously, the Ethiopian Premier, who is President of IGAD, had criticized the military intervention in Uganda alongside government troops against the rebels of Machar.
The representative of the South Sudan Council of Churches (the organization that brings together the major Christian denominations in the Country) stressed the urgency of finding a solution to the conflict: "We are tired of war", he said. South Sudan became independent in 2011, after a long process at the end of a twenty-year conflict with the government of Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2014)
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda
- 2014-09-19 - South Sudan's Bakhita Radio can resume broadcasts, but without political issues
- 2014-09-17 - Malakal destroyed by the war - testimony of a nun
- 2014-09-03 - “Let us work together for peace”: Christian leaders urge traditional chiefs