AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We do not want religion to be dragged into a conflict that is purely political". This is what the main religious leaders of the Central African Republic (His Exc. Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui; Pastor Nicolas Guerékoyame Gbangou, President of the Evangelical Churches, and Imam Oumar Kobine Layama, President of the Central African Islamic Community) said in a press conference held on February 7.
According to Mgr. Nzapalainga "politicians want to impose a religious war to a people who have always lived in harmony", recalling that in Central Africa 80% of the population is Christian, 10% Muslim and 10% animist. "There is no reason to drag religion into a purely political conflict", added Imam Oumar Kobine Layama.
The religious leaders also denounced foreign interference in Central Africa, which have helped to drag the Country into the most serious crisis in its history, and urged, as Pastor Guerékoyame Gbangou says, to allow "the Interim Parliament, the international community to work. Soon a solution will be found".
The situation in Central Africa remains chaotic. On Sunday, February 9th at least 11 people were killed in violent looting in some neighborhoods of the capital, in Bangui. Among the people murdered there is also a Member of Parliament, Jean- Emmanuel Ndjaroua, who had denounced the violence against Muslims. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam