AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Zaki: Christian churches pray together for the future of the Country
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The representatives of the different Churches and Christian communities in Egypt will meet Monday evening, February 10 at the Latin Catholic Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Heliopolis, in Cairo, to pray together and ask for the gift of peace and unity among them and for the whole Country. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by Bishop Adel Zaki OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Alexandria for the Catholics of the Latin rite. "The prayer meeting" says Msg. Zaki "was convened by the National Council of Christian Churches, that on 18 February will celebrate the first year of its establishment. That deadline will allow to trace an initial assessment of the new organization, evaluate the work done together. "The prayer meeting will be attended, among others, by the Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and the Coptic Orthodox Bishop Morcos, together with representatives of Churches and Melkite, Greek-Orthodox, Lutheran and Episcopalian communities. "At the moment" stresses Bishop Zaki, "the common prayer of Egyptian Christians takes on a particular character: we are going through a time where severe episodes of violence continues in the Country, but also one can see signs of hope on the horizon. After popular support for the new Constitution, everyone is waiting for this new phase to consolidate with the next presidential election and that Egypt finally comes out of a dark period. We will also ask this, with our prayers". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied