ASIA/IRAQ - Christian candidates in random order in the next national elections
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) – There will be nine main political lists inspired by Christian activists - Chaldeans, Syrians and Assyrians - who will take part in the upcoming Iraqi parliamentary elections, scheduled for April 30. The Electoral Commission has assigned to the different lists the numbers that identify them. The lists, sponsored by Christians, have been assigned numbers from 298-306. The list includes acronyms which have long been active - like that of the Assyrian Democratic Movement, popularly known as Zowaa, or that of the Chaldean- Syriac-Assyrian People's Council - and others of more recent formation, like that of the Children of Mesopotamia, founded by a secession of Zowaa.
Once again, political activists linked to the Christian communities in Iraq are presented in random order and will have to select 325 members of parliament (with 5 seats reserved to Christians) , called in turn to elect the President and the Iraqi Prime Minister in respect of the system that reserves the presidential office to a Kurd and that of the Prime Minister to a Shiite. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 07/02/2014)
- 2014-04-16 - Chaldean Patriarch Sako's Easter Message, with a thought to the elections
- 2014-04-09 - Death of the Chaldean Patriarch emeritus Emmanuel III Delly.
- 2014-04-07 - Chaldean League: debate on the statutes and internal organization has begun
- 2014-04-04 - A special prayer for the elections will be recited in all the Chaldean churches
- 2014-03-27 - UN Mission in Iraq: without respect for minorities, there is no democracy
- 2014-03-24 - The Heads of Churches to all Christians: let us participate in the elections
- 2014-03-10 - The Chaldean Church in aid of displaced people of Fallujah and Ramadi
- 2014-03-03 - Political leader denounces: the lands of Christians who emigrated plundered with the complicity of corrupt officials
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Iraq’s Catholic Bishops insist: we must react to the violence destroying our nation
- 2014-02-24 - Patriarch Sako: A Lenten Season of fasting and prayer that Christians in Iraq will not emigrate