AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 80 people have been killed in a series of attacks committed in the last 24 hours in 4 States of Nigeria, Plateau, Kaduna, Yobe and Katsina.
In Plateau State 30 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, were killed and 50 homes burned in two attacks by Fulani militia in the early hours of February 5, in the villages of Dajak and Atakar.
In Plateau violent clashes have been going on for years between Fulani herdsmen and local farmers.
Fulani militants are suspected of being the perpetrators of the attacks in two other villages in Kaduna State that caused the death of 22 people, including a soldier and a policeman. All the homes in the villages of Zangang and Mayit were destroyed.
In Yobe State, 18 merchants were killed in a road ambush by a gang of criminals.
Finally, in the town of Kankia in the State of Katsina, a crowd of young people killed a pastor of the ECWA ( Evangelical Church of West Africa) accused, without proof, of having killed a six-year-old girl, whose mutilated body was found near the pastor’s house.
The frantic young people had tried to lynch the pastor, who managed to escape. He was admitted to the local hospital, but was reached by his killers who burned his body. Even his home and church were burned. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 PEOPLE KILLED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS DUE TO VIOLENCE IN FOUR NIGERIAN STATES
- 2014-11-19 - File: the damage inflicted by Boko Haram to the diocese of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-19 - More than 100,000 Catholics scattered because of Boko Haram, "but we remain to bear witness with our presence", said a priest of Maiduguri
- 2014-11-18 - The President of the Episcopal Conference warns: "The 2015 elections will create a political situation that will be explosive"
- 2014-11-10 - Archbishop Kaigama: "Politicians must abandon the electoral struggle and unite to fight Boko Haram"
- 2014-11-06 - National Prayer Vigil for peace in the nation
- 2014-10-28 - There has not been any negotiation so far with the "real" Boko Haram
- 2014-10-23 - New attacks and another 60 girls kidnapped: the possibility of a truce with Boko Haram vanishes
- 2014-10-07 - New toll of the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram: 185 churches destroyed and 190,000 civilians flee
- 2014-09-26 - "I have never uttered those sentences on the CAN President", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2014-09-24 - The Bishops’ warning: "In the face of Boko Haram, the nation is in danger"