AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 80 people have been killed in a series of attacks committed in the last 24 hours in 4 States of Nigeria, Plateau, Kaduna, Yobe and Katsina.
In Plateau State 30 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, were killed and 50 homes burned in two attacks by Fulani militia in the early hours of February 5, in the villages of Dajak and Atakar.
In Plateau violent clashes have been going on for years between Fulani herdsmen and local farmers.
Fulani militants are suspected of being the perpetrators of the attacks in two other villages in Kaduna State that caused the death of 22 people, including a soldier and a policeman. All the homes in the villages of Zangang and Mayit were destroyed.
In Yobe State, 18 merchants were killed in a road ambush by a gang of criminals.
Finally, in the town of Kankia in the State of Katsina, a crowd of young people killed a pastor of the ECWA ( Evangelical Church of West Africa) accused, without proof, of having killed a six-year-old girl, whose mutilated body was found near the pastor’s house.
The frantic young people had tried to lynch the pastor, who managed to escape. He was admitted to the local hospital, but was reached by his killers who burned his body. Even his home and church were burned. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"