AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 80 people have been killed in a series of attacks committed in the last 24 hours in 4 States of Nigeria, Plateau, Kaduna, Yobe and Katsina.
In Plateau State 30 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, were killed and 50 homes burned in two attacks by Fulani militia in the early hours of February 5, in the villages of Dajak and Atakar.
In Plateau violent clashes have been going on for years between Fulani herdsmen and local farmers.
Fulani militants are suspected of being the perpetrators of the attacks in two other villages in Kaduna State that caused the death of 22 people, including a soldier and a policeman. All the homes in the villages of Zangang and Mayit were destroyed.
In Yobe State, 18 merchants were killed in a road ambush by a gang of criminals.
Finally, in the town of Kankia in the State of Katsina, a crowd of young people killed a pastor of the ECWA ( Evangelical Church of West Africa) accused, without proof, of having killed a six-year-old girl, whose mutilated body was found near the pastor’s house.
The frantic young people had tried to lynch the pastor, who managed to escape. He was admitted to the local hospital, but was reached by his killers who burned his body. Even his home and church were burned. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 PEOPLE KILLED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS DUE TO VIOLENCE IN FOUR NIGERIAN STATES
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"