AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 80 people have been killed in a series of attacks committed in the last 24 hours in 4 States of Nigeria, Plateau, Kaduna, Yobe and Katsina.
In Plateau State 30 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, were killed and 50 homes burned in two attacks by Fulani militia in the early hours of February 5, in the villages of Dajak and Atakar.
In Plateau violent clashes have been going on for years between Fulani herdsmen and local farmers.
Fulani militants are suspected of being the perpetrators of the attacks in two other villages in Kaduna State that caused the death of 22 people, including a soldier and a policeman. All the homes in the villages of Zangang and Mayit were destroyed.
In Yobe State, 18 merchants were killed in a road ambush by a gang of criminals.
Finally, in the town of Kankia in the State of Katsina, a crowd of young people killed a pastor of the ECWA ( Evangelical Church of West Africa) accused, without proof, of having killed a six-year-old girl, whose mutilated body was found near the pastor’s house.
The frantic young people had tried to lynch the pastor, who managed to escape. He was admitted to the local hospital, but was reached by his killers who burned his body. Even his home and church were burned. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 PEOPLE KILLED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS DUE TO VIOLENCE IN FOUR NIGERIAN STATES
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped
- 2015-06-11 - "We are waiting to be contacted by the kidnappers", says the Bishop of Ekiti after the kidnapping of a priest