AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - At least 80 people have been killed in a series of attacks committed in the last 24 hours in 4 States of Nigeria, Plateau, Kaduna, Yobe and Katsina.
In Plateau State 30 people, mostly women, children and the elderly, were killed and 50 homes burned in two attacks by Fulani militia in the early hours of February 5, in the villages of Dajak and Atakar.
In Plateau violent clashes have been going on for years between Fulani herdsmen and local farmers.
Fulani militants are suspected of being the perpetrators of the attacks in two other villages in Kaduna State that caused the death of 22 people, including a soldier and a policeman. All the homes in the villages of Zangang and Mayit were destroyed.
In Yobe State, 18 merchants were killed in a road ambush by a gang of criminals.
Finally, in the town of Kankia in the State of Katsina, a crowd of young people killed a pastor of the ECWA ( Evangelical Church of West Africa) accused, without proof, of having killed a six-year-old girl, whose mutilated body was found near the pastor’s house.
The frantic young people had tried to lynch the pastor, who managed to escape. He was admitted to the local hospital, but was reached by his killers who burned his body. Even his home and church were burned. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 PEOPLE KILLED IN THE LAST 24 HOURS DUE TO VIOLENCE IN FOUR NIGERIAN STATES
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"