ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail: the appeal of Christians allowed, the Lahore High Court does not release extremists
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - The extremists who set fire to the "Joseph Colony" Christian area in Lahore a year ago will not leave prison: in fact, as reported to Fides, in recent days the High Court in Lahore has declared the appeal filed by Christian lawyers, and promoted by the Christian Pakistani NGO "Lead" ( "Legal Evangelical Association Development") "admissible". The appeal stood opposite to the release of extremists involved in anti-Christian violence that occurred in Joseph Colony, in Lahore, on 8 and 9 March 2013. In the mass attack, about 180 buildings were burned: Christian homes, shops and two churches.
The Court considered the overwhelming evidence brought by witnesses, noting that the incident "damaged the image of Pakistan in the world" showing it as a "dangerous place for minorities". Among the 83 people arrested in May 2013, all Muslims, under investigation for acts of terrorism, 36 had had the benefit of bail, despite the evidence against them. The attack was unleashed due to a false accusation of blasphemy against the Christian Savan Masih, who seems to have insulted the Prophet Muhammad. Masih denies any wrongdoing but is still in prison awaiting trial. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-07-24 - Also displaced Christians and Hindus from North Waziristan: no to discrimination
- 2014-07-05 - Escape from terrorism and extremism: the exodus of religious minorities has started
- 2014-07-03 - Terrorist groups settle in the Christian area of Essa Nagri in Karachi
- 2014-07-01 - Solidarity towards the orphans of the massacre in the church of Peshawar
- 2014-06-30 - The Archbishop of Lahore: "A new springtime for the Church in our country"
- 2014-06-28 - Discrimination and violence against a Christian businessman, threatened by Islamic extremists
- 2014-06-25 - Petition filed at the High Court: fix a trial date for Asia Bibi
- 2014-06-24 - Historic decision: the birth of the "National Council for the rights of minorities"
- 2014-06-20 - Missio-Aachen: a year dedicated to Pakistan
- 2014-06-18 - No to bail for Islamic extremists who burned the Christian area