ASIA/PAKISTAN - No to bail: the appeal of Christians allowed, the Lahore High Court does not release extremists
Lahore (Agenzia Fides) - The extremists who set fire to the "Joseph Colony" Christian area in Lahore a year ago will not leave prison: in fact, as reported to Fides, in recent days the High Court in Lahore has declared the appeal filed by Christian lawyers, and promoted by the Christian Pakistani NGO "Lead" ( "Legal Evangelical Association Development") "admissible". The appeal stood opposite to the release of extremists involved in anti-Christian violence that occurred in Joseph Colony, in Lahore, on 8 and 9 March 2013. In the mass attack, about 180 buildings were burned: Christian homes, shops and two churches.
The Court considered the overwhelming evidence brought by witnesses, noting that the incident "damaged the image of Pakistan in the world" showing it as a "dangerous place for minorities". Among the 83 people arrested in May 2013, all Muslims, under investigation for acts of terrorism, 36 had had the benefit of bail, despite the evidence against them. The attack was unleashed due to a false accusation of blasphemy against the Christian Savan Masih, who seems to have insulted the Prophet Muhammad. Masih denies any wrongdoing but is still in prison awaiting trial. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to the Italian government to ask for "the repeal of the blasphemy law in Pakistan"
- 2014-04-15 - Minorities are being targeted: the study and testimony of Pakistanis abroad
- 2014-04-14 - Asia Bibi trial "postponed to a later date": a mystery
- 2014-04-12 - Asia Bibi's case: the hearing is likely to be postponed
- 2014-04-09 - Every year, thousands of Hindu and Christian girls kidnapped and forced into Islamic marriage: new Report
- 2014-04-09 - Appeal for Christians sentenced to death for "blasphemy via sms" has been filed at the High Court
- 2014-04-08 - Only 28 % of women are in physical condition to breastfeed their infants
- 2014-04-07 - Legal battle after the death sentence of a Christian couple for blasphemous SMS
- 2014-04-04 - Death sentence for the Christian Sawan Masih: politics is deaf but dissent is increasing
- 2014-04-03 - Threats to the lawyer who defends Christians accused of blasphemy