ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - The increase of vocations to priesthood and religious life in South Korea knows no limit: from February 5 to 7, three ordinations of bishops, priests and deacons are to be held in Seoul. Pope Francis has appointed Fr. Timothy Yu Gyoung-chon and Fr. Peter Chung Soon-taek, auxiliary Bishops of the archdiocese. Their ordination will be held at the Olympic Gymnastics Hall in Seoul Olympic Park. They will be ordained by His Exc. Mgr. Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, Archbishop of Seoul, and other bishops. Over 10 thousand people are expected to participate. A lot has been going on in past days: from January 27 to February 4, parishes and institutes throughout the diocese celebrated novena prayers for the new bishops .
Then there will be the ordination of 38 priests to be held on February 7. Among the new priests, all diocesan, there is one Vietnamese (Deacon Vu Tan Tuan, from the Diocese of Thai Binh) and a member of the "International Community of the Catholic mission" in Seoul, formed in Panama. This is why Msg. José Domingo Ulloa Mendieta, Archbishop of Panama, and Msg. Nguyen Van De, bishop of the Diocese of Thai Binh in Vietnam will be present. The latter wrote to Cardinal Yeom Soo- jung: "We are very grateful for your efforts in giving Vu Tan Tuan a healthy and good priestly formation". The ordination of the deacons will take place on February 6: 26 will be the new deacons of the archdiocese, who will devote themselves to the service of the faithful, parishes, serving in the liturgy and charity. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea
- 2015-04-10 - From the disaster in Sewol, a seed of peace and resurrection
- 2015-03-11 - Bishops: "Be a poor Church for the poor"
- 2014-11-12 - Catholic students: bring the message of Christ in schools and universities
- 2014-11-03 - The Church encourages the Small Christian communities to strengthen their faith and to proclaim the Gospel