AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - A delegation of local notables is on a visit in northern Katanga (in the south of the Democratic Republic of Congo) to soothe the minds of the local population alarmed by the actions of the Bakata-Katanga group, responsible for the displacement of more than 500,000 people from 66 villages in the area (see Fides 30/01/2014).
Tension increases also due to the suspicions that behind the action of the group there seem to be some local politicians, interested in disturbing the political climate in view of the upcoming presidential elections in 2016. One of the tasks of the delegation of notables is to deny the rumors that are spreading, concerning those who influence the Bakata - Katanga; voices that contribute to sowing suspicion and hatred among the local populations.
The civil society organization of Katanga has long urged the authorities to bring to justice the persons named in a 2013 report.
According to Martin Kobler, head of the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo ( MONUSCO), one is in the presence of a "humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga caused by the violence of the Bakata-Katanga, particularly in the so-called "triangle of death" formed by the territories of Mitwaba, Manono, Pweto. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls
- 2014-11-07 - "We want thorough investigation into the violence against the clergy in Lodja" asks civil society