AFRICA/EGYPT – Assiut, police operation against the abduction of Copts
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian security forces in the first days of February carried out a huge operation in the city of Assiut to dismantle an organized crime network that for months organized kidnappings, robberies and extortion against the local Coptic community. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Kyrillos William who sees a decisive change of pace in the intervention carried out by the local police. "For months and months", explains Anba Kyrillos "Coptic families and entire communities in Assiut and the province have lived in anguish. kidnappings took place every day. Recently, the brother of one of our priests was also kidnapped, who is a pharmacist. The perpetrators of these crimes were known to all, but when the Copts claimed and reported them to the security forces, nothing happened. I have just found out that the commander of police in the province has been discharged. Probably this measure is a sudden signal against the inaction of the police who had so far favored the impunity of criminal behavior".
Police operations have involved, in particular some of the villages along the banks of the Nile where in recent months whole Copt family clans also had to "pre-emptively" pay sums of money under the threat of violent reprisals. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – ASSIUT, POLICE OPERATION AGAINST THE ABDUCTION OF COPTS
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors