AFRICA/EGYPT – Assiut, police operation against the abduction of Copts
Assiut (Agenzia Fides) - The Egyptian security forces in the first days of February carried out a huge operation in the city of Assiut to dismantle an organized crime network that for months organized kidnappings, robberies and extortion against the local Coptic community. This was confirmed to Fides Agency by the Coptic Catholic Bishop of Assiut, Kyrillos William who sees a decisive change of pace in the intervention carried out by the local police. "For months and months", explains Anba Kyrillos "Coptic families and entire communities in Assiut and the province have lived in anguish. kidnappings took place every day. Recently, the brother of one of our priests was also kidnapped, who is a pharmacist. The perpetrators of these crimes were known to all, but when the Copts claimed and reported them to the security forces, nothing happened. I have just found out that the commander of police in the province has been discharged. Probably this measure is a sudden signal against the inaction of the police who had so far favored the impunity of criminal behavior".
Police operations have involved, in particular some of the villages along the banks of the Nile where in recent months whole Copt family clans also had to "pre-emptively" pay sums of money under the threat of violent reprisals. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/02/2014)
AFRICA/EGYPT – ASSIUT, POLICE OPERATION AGAINST THE ABDUCTION OF COPTS
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West