AFRICA/EGYPT - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them". This is Fr. Rafic Greiche’s belief, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. "Television continues to send images of demonstrations against the Muslim Brotherhood, considered responsible for acts of terrorism. People are fed up", the priest said in a telephone interview with Fides from Cairo, where today a series of bomb attacks have struck the police headquarters in the Egyptian capital, a police station in Giza, and a police patrol. The most serious attack, against the police headquarters, was committed by a suicide bomber in a car filled with explosives. The explosion was so violent that it seriously damaged the Islamic art museum.
A total of 5 people have died and hundreds have been injured.
"There are massive demonstrations like those seen in Tahrir Square, which is closed in anticipation of the third anniversary of the fall of Mubarak, tomorrow January 25", said the priest .
"I am convinced that the violence committed by those who want to throw Egypt into chaos, will have an impact against its authors, because the Egyptians want peace", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014 )
- 2015-03-03 - Patriarch Tawadros meets the families of 21 martyrs; another Copt beheaded in Libya
- 2015-02-25 - Christian archaeological area risks demolition, Coptic monks lie down in front of bulldozers
- 2015-02-23 - Copt Church forms committee to evacuate Egyptians from Libya
- 2015-02-17 - Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina: Libya’s martyrs died with the name of Christ on their lips
- 2015-02-16 - 21 Copts kidnapped and murdered by jihadists in Libya are “martyrs for the faith” says Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac
- 2015-02-14 - The government: the fate of the Copts kidnapped in Libya remains unclear
- 2015-02-13 - Magazine of the Islamic State announces the execution of the Copts kidnapped in Libya
- 2015-01-31 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Christians in the Islamist electoral list. The spokesman of the Salafi: we are obliged by law
- 2015-01-28 - The Egyptian government allocates land for the construction of new churches in the capital
- 2015-01-27 - The Coptic Catholic Diocese in Minya promotes religious reconciliation in the village of Delga with concrete projects