AFRICA/EGYPT - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them". This is Fr. Rafic Greiche’s belief, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. "Television continues to send images of demonstrations against the Muslim Brotherhood, considered responsible for acts of terrorism. People are fed up", the priest said in a telephone interview with Fides from Cairo, where today a series of bomb attacks have struck the police headquarters in the Egyptian capital, a police station in Giza, and a police patrol. The most serious attack, against the police headquarters, was committed by a suicide bomber in a car filled with explosives. The explosion was so violent that it seriously damaged the Islamic art museum.
A total of 5 people have died and hundreds have been injured.
"There are massive demonstrations like those seen in Tahrir Square, which is closed in anticipation of the third anniversary of the fall of Mubarak, tomorrow January 25", said the priest .
"I am convinced that the violence committed by those who want to throw Egypt into chaos, will have an impact against its authors, because the Egyptians want peace", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014 )
- 2014-04-16 - Candidates Sabbahi and al-Sisi at the Easter Vigil to be celebrated by Coptic Pope Tawadros
- 2014-03-31 - The false accusations against St. Catherine's Monastery have been rejected
- 2014-03-29 - Clashes after the Islamist assault on a church. Four dead
- 2014-03-26 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Board of inquiry: violence against Copts continues
- 2014-03-25 - Coptic Catholic Bishop on the sentences regarding the Muslim Brotherhood: the Church is always against the death penalty
- 2014-03-24 - Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Arab Spring" was actually a winter
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 - AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli