AFRICA/EGYPT - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them"
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "These attacks will hit back those who committed them". This is Fr. Rafic Greiche’s belief, spokesman of the Catholic Bishops of Egypt. "Television continues to send images of demonstrations against the Muslim Brotherhood, considered responsible for acts of terrorism. People are fed up", the priest said in a telephone interview with Fides from Cairo, where today a series of bomb attacks have struck the police headquarters in the Egyptian capital, a police station in Giza, and a police patrol. The most serious attack, against the police headquarters, was committed by a suicide bomber in a car filled with explosives. The explosion was so violent that it seriously damaged the Islamic art museum.
A total of 5 people have died and hundreds have been injured.
"There are massive demonstrations like those seen in Tahrir Square, which is closed in anticipation of the third anniversary of the fall of Mubarak, tomorrow January 25", said the priest .
"I am convinced that the violence committed by those who want to throw Egypt into chaos, will have an impact against its authors, because the Egyptians want peace", concludes Fr. Greiche. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014 )
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters