AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Agreement reached on a ceasefire between government and rebels
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to international pressure an agreement for a cease-fire between the two rival factions of the SPLM (Sudan People's Liberation Movement) that have been fighting in South Sudan since December 15 has been reached.
The agreement was signed yesterday evening, January 23, in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, by representatives of President Salva Kiir and those of former Vice President Riek Machar and will enter into force within the next 24 hours. The agreement was reached when the government in Juba agreed to release 11 people linked to Machar, arrested shortly after the outbreak of the fighting.
The cease-fire is only a first step to restore peace. There will be new negotiations to reach a political agreement between the two parties. Many have also emphasized that it will take an intense effort to reconcile the minds of the population, because the political battle has now taken a tribal and ethnic connotation, between the Nuer and the Dinka.
Meanwhile, the humanitarian situation in South Sudan remains serious. In the capital, Juba, fuel is scarce, while we hear news of mass killings and sexual violence against civilians in the area directly affected by the fighting. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War