AMERICA/VENEZUELA – For the Archbishop of Caracas: "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, has asked the national government to mediate to solve the problem of the shortage of paper for printing newspapers, pointing out that the Constitution guarantees the right to information. He also stressed that media are "very important" institutions for a free and democratic society.
The Cardinal spoke about this on Wednesday, January 22 , after the opening session of the Commission of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference in charge of the 150th celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Venerable Dr. José Gregorio Hernández, to be held on October 26, 2014, and everything regarding his beatification.
Speaking to reporters, the Archbishop of Caracas said "It is necessary that the country has channels of communication able to report what is happening, and Venezuelans should enjoy the right to be informed of what is happening in and out of the country". According to him, only sincere dialogue, with no political distinctions, will be able to give solutions to many problems.
Cardinal Urosa concluded by telling reporters that "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation, this problem must be solved as soon as possible". The newspapers most affected by the lack of paper are "El Nacional" and "El Nuevo País" in Caracas; "El Correo del Caroni" and "El Pulse" (in Barquisimeto) and "Ultimas Noticias". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-03-11 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Churches subject to violence and sacrilegious acts, even during Mass
- 2014-03-10 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay on the situation in the country: "There is no peace without justice"
- 2014-02-28 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Church at National Conference for Peace: find ways and means for dialogue to resolve the difficulties of Venezuela
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - “A process of reconciliation is necessary”, Bishops call dialogue to discover the truth
- 2014-02-26 AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Christians in prayer to accompany imminent National Peace Conference
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Funeral of the two Salesians killed: more than 50 years at the service of Venezuela
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/VENEZUELA - The Bishop of Maracay: "One has the right to protest, but violence has to stop"