AMERICA/VENEZUELA – For the Archbishop of Caracas: "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, has asked the national government to mediate to solve the problem of the shortage of paper for printing newspapers, pointing out that the Constitution guarantees the right to information. He also stressed that media are "very important" institutions for a free and democratic society.
The Cardinal spoke about this on Wednesday, January 22 , after the opening session of the Commission of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference in charge of the 150th celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Venerable Dr. José Gregorio Hernández, to be held on October 26, 2014, and everything regarding his beatification.
Speaking to reporters, the Archbishop of Caracas said "It is necessary that the country has channels of communication able to report what is happening, and Venezuelans should enjoy the right to be informed of what is happening in and out of the country". According to him, only sincere dialogue, with no political distinctions, will be able to give solutions to many problems.
Cardinal Urosa concluded by telling reporters that "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation, this problem must be solved as soon as possible". The newspapers most affected by the lack of paper are "El Nacional" and "El Nuevo País" in Caracas; "El Correo del Caroni" and "El Pulse" (in Barquisimeto) and "Ultimas Noticias". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – FOR THE ARCHBISHOP OF CARACAS: "THE CLOSURE OF A NEWSPAPER IS SOMETHING TERRIBLE! WE CANNOT SINK INTO THE DARKNESS OF MISINFORMATION"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions
- 2014-12-06 - Poverty, few infrastructures and precarious preventive measures: fertile terrain for Chikungunya virus
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church