AMERICA/VENEZUELA – For the Archbishop of Caracas: "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, has asked the national government to mediate to solve the problem of the shortage of paper for printing newspapers, pointing out that the Constitution guarantees the right to information. He also stressed that media are "very important" institutions for a free and democratic society.
The Cardinal spoke about this on Wednesday, January 22 , after the opening session of the Commission of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference in charge of the 150th celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Venerable Dr. José Gregorio Hernández, to be held on October 26, 2014, and everything regarding his beatification.
Speaking to reporters, the Archbishop of Caracas said "It is necessary that the country has channels of communication able to report what is happening, and Venezuelans should enjoy the right to be informed of what is happening in and out of the country". According to him, only sincere dialogue, with no political distinctions, will be able to give solutions to many problems.
Cardinal Urosa concluded by telling reporters that "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation, this problem must be solved as soon as possible". The newspapers most affected by the lack of paper are "El Nacional" and "El Nuevo País" in Caracas; "El Correo del Caroni" and "El Pulse" (in Barquisimeto) and "Ultimas Noticias". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – FOR THE ARCHBISHOP OF CARACAS: "THE CLOSURE OF A NEWSPAPER IS SOMETHING TERRIBLE! WE CANNOT SINK INTO THE DARKNESS OF MISINFORMATION"
- 2015-05-19 - Casa-Hogar "Padre Machado" in El Valle occupied with violence for a few hours
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm