AMERICA/VENEZUELA – For the Archbishop of Caracas: "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, has asked the national government to mediate to solve the problem of the shortage of paper for printing newspapers, pointing out that the Constitution guarantees the right to information. He also stressed that media are "very important" institutions for a free and democratic society.
The Cardinal spoke about this on Wednesday, January 22 , after the opening session of the Commission of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference in charge of the 150th celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Venerable Dr. José Gregorio Hernández, to be held on October 26, 2014, and everything regarding his beatification.
Speaking to reporters, the Archbishop of Caracas said "It is necessary that the country has channels of communication able to report what is happening, and Venezuelans should enjoy the right to be informed of what is happening in and out of the country". According to him, only sincere dialogue, with no political distinctions, will be able to give solutions to many problems.
Cardinal Urosa concluded by telling reporters that "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation, this problem must be solved as soon as possible". The newspapers most affected by the lack of paper are "El Nacional" and "El Nuevo País" in Caracas; "El Correo del Caroni" and "El Pulse" (in Barquisimeto) and "Ultimas Noticias". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
AMERICA/VENEZUELA – FOR THE ARCHBISHOP OF CARACAS: "THE CLOSURE OF A NEWSPAPER IS SOMETHING TERRIBLE! WE CANNOT SINK INTO THE DARKNESS OF MISINFORMATION"
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene
- 2015-06-19 - "They have our support": Mgr. Conde receives young people on hunger strike and writes to the Pope
- 2015-06-05 - Appeal to the authorities in favor of protesters on hunger strike
- 2015-06-03 - The Church calls on the authorities to respond to the students on hunger strike
- 2015-05-30 - Six young people on hunger strike in a church in Caracas