AMERICA/VENEZUELA – For the Archbishop of Caracas: "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation"
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - The Archbishop of Caracas, Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, has asked the national government to mediate to solve the problem of the shortage of paper for printing newspapers, pointing out that the Constitution guarantees the right to information. He also stressed that media are "very important" institutions for a free and democratic society.
The Cardinal spoke about this on Wednesday, January 22 , after the opening session of the Commission of the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference in charge of the 150th celebration of the anniversary of the birth of Venerable Dr. José Gregorio Hernández, to be held on October 26, 2014, and everything regarding his beatification.
Speaking to reporters, the Archbishop of Caracas said "It is necessary that the country has channels of communication able to report what is happening, and Venezuelans should enjoy the right to be informed of what is happening in and out of the country". According to him, only sincere dialogue, with no political distinctions, will be able to give solutions to many problems.
Cardinal Urosa concluded by telling reporters that "the closure of a newspaper is something terrible! We cannot sink into the darkness of misinformation, this problem must be solved as soon as possible". The newspapers most affected by the lack of paper are "El Nacional" and "El Nuevo País" in Caracas; "El Correo del Caroni" and "El Pulse" (in Barquisimeto) and "Ultimas Noticias". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2014)
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops
- 2014-07-09 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: defeat pessimism and allow hope to grow
- 2014-06-25 - National holiday marked by demonstrations
- 2014-06-23 - Young people on hunger strike, the situation is still blocked
- 2014-05-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Dialogue resumes, but we need facts not promises
- 2014-05-14 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – What is feared is the failure of peace talks, today new student demonstration
- 2014-04-16 - "The situation of the country does not depend only on a political issue", said Mgr. Parra Sandoval
- 2014-04-14 - Cardinal Urosa invites to find every possible path to solve the serious problems in the country, due to general discomfort
- 2014-04-11 - Pope Francis writes to Venezuelan leaders and opposition ahead of key talks