AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Links with Cameroon are to be ensured as soon as possible", asks the Minister of Communication
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – It is necessary to secure the road link that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon. This is the appeal launched in Rome by Adrien Pousson, Minister of Communication of the Central African Republic, during a press conference at the headquarters of the Community of Sant'Egidio.
The Minister in particular addressed the leaders of the two military missions in the Country, the French and the African Countries (MISCA), so that they guarantee the safety of the road corridor with Cameroon, a vital artery through which food supply for most of Central Africa arrives. The Minister recalled that at least one million people are displaced within the Country.
Adrien Pousson also defined the election of President Catherine Samba-Panza (see Fides 21/01/2014) a "strong signal for national reconciliation, she is the first woman to have access to the highest office of the Central African State. According to the Minister, the enactment of a national Commission "for truth and reconciliation", the coordination of humanitarian aid, and the preparation of legislative elections scheduled for February 2015 are among the priorities of the new President. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui