AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Links with Cameroon are to be ensured as soon as possible", asks the Minister of Communication
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – It is necessary to secure the road link that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon. This is the appeal launched in Rome by Adrien Pousson, Minister of Communication of the Central African Republic, during a press conference at the headquarters of the Community of Sant'Egidio.
The Minister in particular addressed the leaders of the two military missions in the Country, the French and the African Countries (MISCA), so that they guarantee the safety of the road corridor with Cameroon, a vital artery through which food supply for most of Central Africa arrives. The Minister recalled that at least one million people are displaced within the Country.
Adrien Pousson also defined the election of President Catherine Samba-Panza (see Fides 21/01/2014) a "strong signal for national reconciliation, she is the first woman to have access to the highest office of the Central African State. According to the Minister, the enactment of a national Commission "for truth and reconciliation", the coordination of humanitarian aid, and the preparation of legislative elections scheduled for February 2015 are among the priorities of the new President. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 22/01/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners
- 2014-05-12 - "We are in an open-pit prison held hostage by violent people" denounce the Bishops