AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new President of Madagascar. This was officially declared on January 17 by the President of the Special Electoral Court (CES), which rejected the appeal presented by Robinson Jean Louis.
Jean Louis had stated that the vote was marred by "substantial fraud" and had challenged the electoral roll.
CES has now confirmed the result of the vote: the victory of Rajaonarimampianina with 53.49 % of the vote, while Jean Louis obtained 46.51 %.
The new President is an expression of the transition of former President Andry Rajoelina, having been Finance Minister in the government led by him. Jean Louis is instead the candidate presented by Marc Ravalomanana, the former president overthrown in 2009 and still in exile in South Africa.
According to international observers Rajoelina could be appointed by the new President Prime Minister. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2015-09-29 - "Ilena is no longer a ghetto": ex-leper colony in the village finally has electricity
- 2015-06-16 - No to impeachment against the President; one is moving towards the formation of a new government
- 2015-05-28 - The President denies the motion for dismissal, the Bishops denounce "the culture of corruption"
- 2015-05-27 - "We are going back to chaos," says a missionary after the vote to remove the President
- 2015-04-29 - Half the population has no access to drinking water, 4,000 children die every year
- 2014-11-26 - Nearly two million children have dropped out of school to work
- 2014-07-10 - Catholic priest taken hostage by bandits has been released
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"