AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new President of Madagascar. This was officially declared on January 17 by the President of the Special Electoral Court (CES), which rejected the appeal presented by Robinson Jean Louis.
Jean Louis had stated that the vote was marred by "substantial fraud" and had challenged the electoral roll.
CES has now confirmed the result of the vote: the victory of Rajaonarimampianina with 53.49 % of the vote, while Jean Louis obtained 46.51 %.
The new President is an expression of the transition of former President Andry Rajoelina, having been Finance Minister in the government led by him. Jean Louis is instead the candidate presented by Marc Ravalomanana, the former president overthrown in 2009 and still in exile in South Africa.
According to international observers Rajoelina could be appointed by the new President Prime Minister. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 17/01/2014)
- 2014-11-26 - Nearly two million children have dropped out of school to work
- 2014-07-10 - Catholic priest taken hostage by bandits has been released
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna
- 2013-10-07 - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be
- 2013-10-04 - Still tension in Nosy Be after the killing of three people accused of having killed and mutilated a child
- 2013-07-05 - Agreement for the participation of former President Ravalomanana at the next meeting of reconciliation
- 2013-05-02 - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis