AMERICA/PERU - "Without communication, there are no rights"
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - A group of Peruvian institutions, concerned about the concentration of media in a single group (El Comercio) after the purchase of products from the EPENSA company, has publicly expressed its concern because in such a situation "there is a risk regarding the right to information and the right to communicate of each Peruvian citizen". The document, sent to Fides Agency by local sources, is titled "Without communication, there are no rights", and highlights the risk of the "fundamental rights of the human person for political, social and economic cohabitation".
"The current panorama of the media, in terms of press, radio and television - promotes the hegemony of ideas and imposes on citizens a national program that does not correspond to the reality of the country, with a serious impact on democracy and governance capability", the text reads .
The document concludes by asking accessions to protest and reaffirming that "the right to information, freedom of expression and communication are essential to defend and require others, such as the right to health, education, housing, decent work, justice etc...". According to the Peruvian press, after the purchase of the shares of the Epensa company, the El Comercio group now owns 77% of the advertising and management of the print media in Peru, a situation without comparison in the democratic world, according to the Peruvian journalists. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/01/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AMERICA/PERU - The Church denounces the alarming pollution of the Peruvian forest
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/PERU’ - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
- 2014-02-19 AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
- 2014-01-28 AMERICA/PERU - Dispute between Peru and Chile: an example of how to resolve differences in a peaceful manner
- 2014-01-21 AMERICA/PERU - In prayer for harmony among the peoples, pending the judgment of the Hague
- 2014-01-20 AMERICA/PERU - The Bishops gathered in Plenary Assembly
- 2014-01-14 AMERICA/PERU - "Without communication, there are no rights"
- 2013-12-21 AMERICA/PERU - Christmas in the sign of solidarity and respect for the rights of all
- 2013-12-18 AMERICA/PERU – A religious woman receives the award for Human Rights
- 2013-12-17 AMERICA/PERU - The social and economic pressure is so strong that it makes us forget the Child Jesus