ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Superior General OMI: "With Msg. Quevedo, let us look at the Church of the poor"
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "By naming Archbishop Quevedo cardinal, Pope Francis is giving a signal to all of us: it is the recognition of a very committed missionary, a priest and bishop who leads by serving others, whose main concern is the Gospel and the poor and who has worked tirelessly to promote friendship between Christians and Muslims, to support their struggle to live together in respect and peace" is what Fr. Louis Lougen, OMI, Superior General of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (OMI), the religious congregation which Msg. Quevedo belongs to, Archbishop of Cotabato, on the island of Mindanao (southern Philippines).
Fr. Lougen explains: "Archbishop Quevedo is a man of the Church with many gifts and who has always chosen to live simply and whose option as a Missionary Oblate of Mary Immaculate has always been to be very close to the poor. He is a man of compassion, joy and generosity. Pope Francis is showing what kind of Church we are called to be by naming Archbishop Quevedo as cardinal".
The Superior says he is convinced that for Quevedo, this honor at being designated a cardinal is not to be "a prince of the Church" but is a confirmation that the Church, and Archbishop Quevedo’s own life, is "to be like Jesus, a servant who washed the disciples feet". "As Oblates of Mary Immaculate we are happy and proud - he continues – and rejoice in being recognized for his prophetic ministry as religious, missionary, priest and archbishop".
Fr. Lougen concludes with a hope for peace in Southern Philippines: "The process of peace depends on the efforts of everyone. It is my hope that this honor may bring attention to the importance of dialogue, respect, peace-building and may reinforce the commitment of all of us to this process". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 14/01/2014)
- 2015-10-09 - Tentorio's murder is "a blood stain on justice"
- 2015-10-08 - A missionary: "The Italian Del Torchio kidnapped for money"
- 2015-09-30 - Thousands of children risk their lives in the gold mines
- 2015-09-30 - Priest stabbed to death in central Philippines
- 2015-09-26 - An incentive from Pope Francis to fight against human trafficking
- 2015-09-24 - The Church alongside the tribal victims of violence and persecution
- 2015-09-11 - From the crisis of Zamboanga, a hope for Muslim-Christian relations
- 2015-09-08 - Peace is possible in the southern Philippines, with faith
- 2015-08-28 - The Church joins the Pope for the "Day of Creation" which opens the "Season of Creation"
- 2015-08-26 - Caritas launches "phase two" for rehabilitation after typhoon Yolanda