ASIA/THAILAND - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the tensions and anti-government protests being carried out today in the capital of Bangkok, with a strong impact on social and civic life, "the only important thing is: that the outcome is peaceful. We hope and pray that the demonstrations do not lead to violence", says Fr. Surasit Chumsriphan, pastor of the Cathedral of the Assumption in the Thai capital. Bangkok, note sources of Fides, is now paralyzed by protesters to force the government to resign and to postpone the elections, scheduled for February 2.
The faithful Christian witness the new wave of protest with concern. Fr. Chumsriphan explains to Fides: " The country lives in uncertainty. We do not know what will happen in coming weeks. Both parties have some reason in their claims. In any case, we hope for peaceful dialogue, based on dialectic and democratic dynamics. A fact all Thai citizens agree on is: the urgent need to initiate an era of social, civil and economic reforms for the country". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-01-13 ASIA/THAILAND - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 ASIA/THAILAND - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 ASIA/THAILAND - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 ASIA/THAILAND - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert
- 2013-02-20 ASIA - The next Pope and the hopes of Asia
- 2013-01-03 ASIA/THAILAND - Stop the deportation of the Rohingya boat people
- 2012-07-26 ASIA/THAILAND - Franciscans in mission among AIDS patients, modern "lepers"
- 2012-06-05 ASIA/THAILAND-Alarming phenomenon of child trafficking: forced to sell flowers and to beg
- 2012-02-13 ASIA/THAILAND - Appeal to the Government for Valentine's Day: it is urgent to stop prostitution
- 2011-11-14 ASIA/THAILAND - Alert for floods continues: risk of diseases and attacks from the reptiles escaped from farms