ASIA/THAILAND - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
Bangkok (Agenzia Fides) – With regards to the tensions and anti-government protests being carried out today in the capital of Bangkok, with a strong impact on social and civic life, "the only important thing is: that the outcome is peaceful. We hope and pray that the demonstrations do not lead to violence", says Fr. Surasit Chumsriphan, pastor of the Cathedral of the Assumption in the Thai capital. Bangkok, note sources of Fides, is now paralyzed by protesters to force the government to resign and to postpone the elections, scheduled for February 2.
The faithful Christian witness the new wave of protest with concern. Fr. Chumsriphan explains to Fides: " The country lives in uncertainty. We do not know what will happen in coming weeks. Both parties have some reason in their claims. In any case, we hope for peaceful dialogue, based on dialectic and democratic dynamics. A fact all Thai citizens agree on is: the urgent need to initiate an era of social, civil and economic reforms for the country". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal designate Kovithavanij: valuable religions to build a peaceful society
- 2014-12-10 - "Houses of Hope" for abandoned children
- 2014-09-30 - The armed conflicts, which so far have caused 6000 deaths, also involve minors
- 2014-07-01 - Half a century at the service of the Church and of society, and religious institutes look to the future
- 2014-05-23 - After the coup, Bishops and religious leaders become mediators between the warring parties
- 2014-05-20 - Martial law declared: for the Church it is urgent "to open a channel between the parties"
- 2014-01-13 - Tensions and protests in Bangkok, the Church: "May the outcome be peaceful"
- 2013-12-10 - New elections on February 2, but "the situation changes day by day", says the Director of the PMS
- 2013-11-15 - Children used in boxing combat: a new form of child slavery
- 2013-09-24 - A quarter of the Country's provinces are flooded: flood alert