VATICAN - Pope announces the appointment of New Cardinals, 4 are from the territories of Propaganda Fide
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – During the Angelus on Sunday, January 12th, the Holy Father announced the creation of 19 new Cardinals in the next consistory to be held on February 22. Of these, three are ordinary and one emeritus of the territories entrusted to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: His Exc. Mgr. Jean-Pierre Kutwa, Archbishop of Abidjan (Côte d' Ivoire); His Exc. Mgr. Andrew Yeom Soo Jung, Archbishop of Seoul (Korea); His Exc. Mgr. Philippe Nakellentuba Ouedraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso); His Exc. Mgr. Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop Emeritus of Castries (West Indies).
The 16 Cardinal appointees are: 5 from Latin America, 1 from North America, 2 from Asia, two from Africa and 6 from Europe. Together with them "three Archbishops emeriti distinguished for their service to the Holy See and to the Church: Loris Francesco Capovilla, Titular Archbishop of Mesembria; Fernando Sebastián Aguilar, C.M.F., Archbishop emeritus of Pamplona; Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop emeritus of Castries.
Pope Francis accompanied the announcement with an invitation: Let us pray for the new Cardinals, that vested in the virtues and the sentiments of the Lord Jesus, the Good Shepherd, they might be able to help more effectively the Bishop of Rome in his service to the universal Church" (SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-07-14 - VATICAN – Pope makes heartfelt appeal "to continue to pray for peace in the Holy Land"
- 2014-06-14 - Message of His Holiness Francis for the World Mission Day 2014
- 2014-06-09 - Without the Holy Spirit there is no mission, there is no evangelization
- 2014-06-02 - Death of Cardinal Lourdusamy, he was Secretary of Propaganda Fide and President of the PMS
- 2014-06-02 - Cardinal Filoni to the seminarians in Otélé : "without the logic of holiness, the priestly ministry would simply be a social function"
- 2014-06-02 - Cardinal Filoni to the clergy of Equatorial Guinea: "A priest is not an official of the Church, but administrator of the mysteries of God":
- 2014-05-28 - Cardinal Filoni to the seminarians in Nkolbisson-Yaoundé: "take to heart the ideal of the priest that the Church needs today and will need tomorrow"
- 2014-05-26 - Cardinal Filoni in Cameroon, for the centenary of the evangelization of Bamenda, and in Equatorial Guinea
- 2014-05-21 - Pope Francis invites to pray so that "Catholics in China continue to believe, to hope and to love"
- 2014-05-08 - Cardinal Filoni at the Mater Ecclesiae College: Religious women, missionary outposts and proclamation of the Gospel