VATICAN - Pope announces the appointment of New Cardinals, 4 are from the territories of Propaganda Fide
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – During the Angelus on Sunday, January 12th, the Holy Father announced the creation of 19 new Cardinals in the next consistory to be held on February 22. Of these, three are ordinary and one emeritus of the territories entrusted to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: His Exc. Mgr. Jean-Pierre Kutwa, Archbishop of Abidjan (Côte d' Ivoire); His Exc. Mgr. Andrew Yeom Soo Jung, Archbishop of Seoul (Korea); His Exc. Mgr. Philippe Nakellentuba Ouedraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso); His Exc. Mgr. Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop Emeritus of Castries (West Indies).
The 16 Cardinal appointees are: 5 from Latin America, 1 from North America, 2 from Asia, two from Africa and 6 from Europe. Together with them "three Archbishops emeriti distinguished for their service to the Holy See and to the Church: Loris Francesco Capovilla, Titular Archbishop of Mesembria; Fernando Sebastián Aguilar, C.M.F., Archbishop emeritus of Pamplona; Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop emeritus of Castries.
Pope Francis accompanied the announcement with an invitation: Let us pray for the new Cardinals, that vested in the virtues and the sentiments of the Lord Jesus, the Good Shepherd, they might be able to help more effectively the Bishop of Rome in his service to the universal Church" (SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2014-10-20 - Pope Paul VI, "a staunch supporter of the mission ad gentes"
- 2014-10-18 - VATICAN – Blessed Pope Paul VI: "The love for Missions is love for the Church, love for Christ!"
- 2014-10-13 - The memory of the missionaries, their examples, attract and inspire us to imitate their faith
- 2014-10-07 - First ever global campaign by the 160 Caritas national organisations: ending world hunger is their priority
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans