VATICAN - Pope announces the appointment of New Cardinals, 4 are from the territories of Propaganda Fide
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) – During the Angelus on Sunday, January 12th, the Holy Father announced the creation of 19 new Cardinals in the next consistory to be held on February 22. Of these, three are ordinary and one emeritus of the territories entrusted to the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: His Exc. Mgr. Jean-Pierre Kutwa, Archbishop of Abidjan (Côte d' Ivoire); His Exc. Mgr. Andrew Yeom Soo Jung, Archbishop of Seoul (Korea); His Exc. Mgr. Philippe Nakellentuba Ouedraogo, Archbishop of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso); His Exc. Mgr. Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop Emeritus of Castries (West Indies).
The 16 Cardinal appointees are: 5 from Latin America, 1 from North America, 2 from Asia, two from Africa and 6 from Europe. Together with them "three Archbishops emeriti distinguished for their service to the Holy See and to the Church: Loris Francesco Capovilla, Titular Archbishop of Mesembria; Fernando Sebastián Aguilar, C.M.F., Archbishop emeritus of Pamplona; Kelvin Edward Felix, Archbishop emeritus of Castries.
Pope Francis accompanied the announcement with an invitation: Let us pray for the new Cardinals, that vested in the virtues and the sentiments of the Lord Jesus, the Good Shepherd, they might be able to help more effectively the Bishop of Rome in his service to the universal Church" (SL) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2014)
- 2015-11-27 - Plenary Assembly of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples: missionary awareness and young Churches 50 years after the Ad Gentes Decree
- 2015-11-12 - Statement from the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples
- 2015-11-03 - Pope's appeal for Central Africa: "put an end to this cycle of violence"
- 2015-10-29 - Cardinal Filoni: Only peace will save the indigenous Christian communities in Mesopotamia
- 2015-10-28 - Appeal from the 5 continents: "The fight against climate change must respect the rights of the poor"
- 2015-10-28 - Urbaniana University: to form men and women capable of becoming bridges of relationships and instruments of mutual understanding
- 2015-10-16 - The Missionary Rosary for World Mission Day and the 50th anniversary of the "Ad Gentes" decree
- 2015-10-02 - Cardinal Filoni opens the formative year: "called to live the joy of the Gospel"
- 2015-10-01 - With the feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, October, month of the missions begins
- 2015-09-15 - Cardinal Filoni on his visit: the enthusiasm of the Church in Bangladesh, the vivacity of the Church in India