AFRICA/EGYPT - Referendum on the Constitution, Christian leaders invited to participate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, and also representatives of groups and associations related to the ecclesial communities, invite all their compatriots to participate in the referendum on the new Constitution, scheduled for 14 and 15 January. Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, on the eve of the Coptic Christmas, expressed his support for broad participation in the referendum, calling it "a duty and a responsibility". The same support for the referendum was shown by the great Imam of Al- Azhar Ahmed al-Tayyeb, and even by the spokesman of the Salafi al-Nour Party. While the militants of the Coptic Coalition organization have long started their campaign in favor of a "yes" regarding the referendum.
Meanwhile, on January 12 Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency announced that three heads of Churches and Christian communities in Egypt - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Vice-President of the Protestant Community in Egypt Andrea Zaki have sent telegrams of congratulations to Muslim civil and religious authorities in the Country - from President Adli Mansour to the great Imam al-Tayyeb - on the days when Egypt celebrates the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Mohammad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2013)
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General