AFRICA/EGYPT - Referendum on the Constitution, Christian leaders invited to participate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, and also representatives of groups and associations related to the ecclesial communities, invite all their compatriots to participate in the referendum on the new Constitution, scheduled for 14 and 15 January. Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, on the eve of the Coptic Christmas, expressed his support for broad participation in the referendum, calling it "a duty and a responsibility". The same support for the referendum was shown by the great Imam of Al- Azhar Ahmed al-Tayyeb, and even by the spokesman of the Salafi al-Nour Party. While the militants of the Coptic Coalition organization have long started their campaign in favor of a "yes" regarding the referendum.
Meanwhile, on January 12 Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency announced that three heads of Churches and Christian communities in Egypt - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Vice-President of the Protestant Community in Egypt Andrea Zaki have sent telegrams of congratulations to Muslim civil and religious authorities in the Country - from President Adli Mansour to the great Imam al-Tayyeb - on the days when Egypt celebrates the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Mohammad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2013)
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed
- 2015-03-20 - Hospitals in Al Azhar open their doors to Christian doctors
- 2015-03-17 - The Egyptian government reviews Islamic religious education programs to combat extremism
- 2015-03-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Armed assault against the Franciscan church of Kafr el Dawar