AFRICA/EGYPT - Referendum on the Constitution, Christian leaders invited to participate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, and also representatives of groups and associations related to the ecclesial communities, invite all their compatriots to participate in the referendum on the new Constitution, scheduled for 14 and 15 January. Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, on the eve of the Coptic Christmas, expressed his support for broad participation in the referendum, calling it "a duty and a responsibility". The same support for the referendum was shown by the great Imam of Al- Azhar Ahmed al-Tayyeb, and even by the spokesman of the Salafi al-Nour Party. While the militants of the Coptic Coalition organization have long started their campaign in favor of a "yes" regarding the referendum.
Meanwhile, on January 12 Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency announced that three heads of Churches and Christian communities in Egypt - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Vice-President of the Protestant Community in Egypt Andrea Zaki have sent telegrams of congratulations to Muslim civil and religious authorities in the Country - from President Adli Mansour to the great Imam al-Tayyeb - on the days when Egypt celebrates the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Mohammad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi