AFRICA/EGYPT - Referendum on the Constitution, Christian leaders invited to participate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, and also representatives of groups and associations related to the ecclesial communities, invite all their compatriots to participate in the referendum on the new Constitution, scheduled for 14 and 15 January. Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, on the eve of the Coptic Christmas, expressed his support for broad participation in the referendum, calling it "a duty and a responsibility". The same support for the referendum was shown by the great Imam of Al- Azhar Ahmed al-Tayyeb, and even by the spokesman of the Salafi al-Nour Party. While the militants of the Coptic Coalition organization have long started their campaign in favor of a "yes" regarding the referendum.
Meanwhile, on January 12 Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency announced that three heads of Churches and Christian communities in Egypt - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Vice-President of the Protestant Community in Egypt Andrea Zaki have sent telegrams of congratulations to Muslim civil and religious authorities in the Country - from President Adli Mansour to the great Imam al-Tayyeb - on the days when Egypt celebrates the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Mohammad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West
- 2014-10-28 - St. Catherine's Monastery denies the news of an Islamist attack