AFRICA/EGYPT - Referendum on the Constitution, Christian leaders invited to participate
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian Churches in Egypt, and also representatives of groups and associations related to the ecclesial communities, invite all their compatriots to participate in the referendum on the new Constitution, scheduled for 14 and 15 January. Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros II, on the eve of the Coptic Christmas, expressed his support for broad participation in the referendum, calling it "a duty and a responsibility". The same support for the referendum was shown by the great Imam of Al- Azhar Ahmed al-Tayyeb, and even by the spokesman of the Salafi al-Nour Party. While the militants of the Coptic Coalition organization have long started their campaign in favor of a "yes" regarding the referendum.
Meanwhile, on January 12 Egyptian sources consulted by Fides Agency announced that three heads of Churches and Christian communities in Egypt - Coptic Orthodox Patriarch Tawadros, Coptic Catholic Patriarch Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak and Vice-President of the Protestant Community in Egypt Andrea Zaki have sent telegrams of congratulations to Muslim civil and religious authorities in the Country - from President Adli Mansour to the great Imam al-Tayyeb - on the days when Egypt celebrates the anniversary of the birth of the Prophet Mohammad. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/01/2013)
- 2015-10-09 - Coptic Organizations call on President al-Sisi to reopen the investigation into the massacre of Maspero
- 2015-10-06 - Sectarian clashes in Samalut, the "city of martyrs": ten Copts wounded
- 2015-10-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: Christians who present themselves as candidates in the Salafist lists are not credible
- 2015-09-30 - The Coptic Church will support the initiatives of President al-Sisi in favor of youth employment
- 2015-09-26 - Patriarch Tawadros visits the Ethiopian "sister Church"
- 2015-09-22 - A Fatwa to allow the Copts on the electoral Salafist lists
- 2015-09-11 - 24 Copts appointed in the electoral lists of the Salafi party
- 2015-09-09 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the Church has a spiritual and not a political mission
- 2015-09-08 - A demonstration protest in front of the Coptic Cathedral has been prohibited
- 2015-09-03 - Egyptian Coptic Patriarch: let us rationalize the use of the Nile waters