ASIA/IRAQ - Ayatollah al-Sistani: the violence against Christians are a threat to the whole country
Najaf (Agenzia Fides) - Violence that affect Christians in Iraq represent a loss for the entire country. This is the conviction expressed by Ayatollah Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani, during a meeting on Wednesday, January 8th with a delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio received in audience by the major political and spiritual leader of Iraqi Shiites in the holy city of Najaf. This was made known by local sources consulted by Fides Agency, that reported the contents of a press conference held after the meeting by Andrea Trentini, a member of the delegation of Sant'Egidio. In the interview - said Trentini - al-Sistani expressed his full solidarity with Iraqi Christians, insisting that one must preserve the presence of the indigenous Christian communities in the Country and that targeted violence of which they are victims pose a threat to the whole of Iraq .
The delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio is in Iraq to participate in a symposium on the issues of coexistence and dialogue among faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"