ASIA/IRAQ - Ayatollah al-Sistani: the violence against Christians are a threat to the whole country
Najaf (Agenzia Fides) - Violence that affect Christians in Iraq represent a loss for the entire country. This is the conviction expressed by Ayatollah Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani, during a meeting on Wednesday, January 8th with a delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio received in audience by the major political and spiritual leader of Iraqi Shiites in the holy city of Najaf. This was made known by local sources consulted by Fides Agency, that reported the contents of a press conference held after the meeting by Andrea Trentini, a member of the delegation of Sant'Egidio. In the interview - said Trentini - al-Sistani expressed his full solidarity with Iraqi Christians, insisting that one must preserve the presence of the indigenous Christian communities in the Country and that targeted violence of which they are victims pose a threat to the whole of Iraq .
The delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio is in Iraq to participate in a symposium on the issues of coexistence and dialogue among faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"