ASIA/IRAQ - Ayatollah al-Sistani: the violence against Christians are a threat to the whole country
Najaf (Agenzia Fides) - Violence that affect Christians in Iraq represent a loss for the entire country. This is the conviction expressed by Ayatollah Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani, during a meeting on Wednesday, January 8th with a delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio received in audience by the major political and spiritual leader of Iraqi Shiites in the holy city of Najaf. This was made known by local sources consulted by Fides Agency, that reported the contents of a press conference held after the meeting by Andrea Trentini, a member of the delegation of Sant'Egidio. In the interview - said Trentini - al-Sistani expressed his full solidarity with Iraqi Christians, insisting that one must preserve the presence of the indigenous Christian communities in the Country and that targeted violence of which they are victims pose a threat to the whole of Iraq .
The delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio is in Iraq to participate in a symposium on the issues of coexistence and dialogue among faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-04-16 - Chaldean Patriarch Sako's Easter Message, with a thought to the elections
- 2014-04-09 - Death of the Chaldean Patriarch emeritus Emmanuel III Delly.
- 2014-04-07 - Chaldean League: debate on the statutes and internal organization has begun
- 2014-04-04 - A special prayer for the elections will be recited in all the Chaldean churches
- 2014-03-27 - UN Mission in Iraq: without respect for minorities, there is no democracy
- 2014-03-24 - The Heads of Churches to all Christians: let us participate in the elections
- 2014-03-10 - The Chaldean Church in aid of displaced people of Fallujah and Ramadi
- 2014-03-03 - Political leader denounces: the lands of Christians who emigrated plundered with the complicity of corrupt officials
- 2014-02-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Iraq’s Catholic Bishops insist: we must react to the violence destroying our nation
- 2014-02-24 - Patriarch Sako: A Lenten Season of fasting and prayer that Christians in Iraq will not emigrate