ASIA/IRAQ - Ayatollah al-Sistani: the violence against Christians are a threat to the whole country
Najaf (Agenzia Fides) - Violence that affect Christians in Iraq represent a loss for the entire country. This is the conviction expressed by Ayatollah Ali al-Husayni al-Sistani, during a meeting on Wednesday, January 8th with a delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio received in audience by the major political and spiritual leader of Iraqi Shiites in the holy city of Najaf. This was made known by local sources consulted by Fides Agency, that reported the contents of a press conference held after the meeting by Andrea Trentini, a member of the delegation of Sant'Egidio. In the interview - said Trentini - al-Sistani expressed his full solidarity with Iraqi Christians, insisting that one must preserve the presence of the indigenous Christian communities in the Country and that targeted violence of which they are victims pose a threat to the whole of Iraq .
The delegation of the Community of Sant'Egidio is in Iraq to participate in a symposium on the issues of coexistence and dialogue among faiths. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"
- 2015-05-04 - Chaldean Patriarch opens discussion on the draft Constitution for the Iraqi Kurdistan Region
- 2015-05-02 - Military offensive to free the province of Nineveh. Chaldean priest: "Christians want to return to their homes"
- 2015-04-13 - Northern Iraq's displaced get own radio station
- 2015-03-30 - The Chaldean Church participates in the mourning for the death of Assyrian Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV
- 2015-03-28 - Chaldean Patriarch to the UN: the "Arab Spring" impacted negatively on Christians
- 2015-03-16 - Chaldean Patriarch: a law against preachers who incite violence is needed
- 2015-03-12 - The monastery of St. George in Mosul damaged, but not destroyed
- 2015-03-10 - Appeal of the Chaldean Patriarch: the offensive against the Caliphate causes new humanitarian emergencies
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/IRAQ – Courses to start soon at Erbil Catholic University