AMERICA/CHILE - Peru and Chile, brotherly peoples
Santiago ( Agenzia Fides) - "The Church is closely linked to the life of our peoples. In fact, together with the richness and diversity of indigenous cultures, the gift of the Christian faith is one of the foundations of the identity and unity of our cultural and historical reality that prolifics every culture and is able to make us brothers". With these words, the Episcopal Conference of Chile and Peru reaffirmed, in July 2013, the Church's interest of both countries to continue to cultivate brotherly bilateral relations.
In a few weeks one will know the judgment of the International Court of Justice in The Hague regarding the maritime border dispute between the two States (see Fides 20/07/2013 ), and for this reason the Chilean Episcopal Conference has begun publishing articles on its website of both local Churches and various Catholic groups on the relationship between these two peoples.
According to the note sent to Fides Agency by the Bishops of Chile, an important aspect that the Chilean and Peruvian Bishops point out is that the current status of the legal dispute between our countries, regarding the maritime border, invites us to look at our relationship in a historical perspective". So the Bishops of both countries believe that the authorities of the respective States "are committed to full compliance and observance of the judgment of the International Court of Justice. Among other factors, the relationship between our peoples is based on reciprocal agreements and is subject to international law".
The note also points out that the Bishops appreciate the role of social media" that have demonstrated a sense of responsibility in dealing with this issue", and at the same time encourage them "to cultivate a concern regarding integration problems among our peoples in different areas and events". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-10-05 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas thanks for the clarification on the gas supply
- 2015-09-29 - The Bishop of Punta Arenas denounces: There is no transparency in the agreements for gas
- 2015-09-25 - Earthquake victims help other victims: the President of Caritas Chile in the affected areas
- 2015-08-06 - "Freedoms have limits", said Mgr. Chomalí
- 2015-08-03 - “Abortion is never therapeutic”: local Catholic Church attacks
- 2015-07-01 - Procession at sea on Easter Island for St. Peter, praying for the Pope's visit
- 2015-05-19 - The main problems of childhood in Chile: Sexual exploitation, trafficking, drugs, alcohol
- 2015-05-18 - First agreement between former political prisoners and government, Mgr. Goic President of the Commission
- 2015-05-16 - Two students die during the protests; the Church appeals for non-violence
- 2015-05-06 - Bishops' statement: "The right to truth, forgiveness is not impunity"