AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Fighting continues despite peace talks
Lui (Agenzia Fides) – There is alert in South Sudan, where a few days ago about twenty wounded arrived at the hospital in Lui (Western Equatoria) assisted by the operators of Doctors with Africa Cuamm (see Fides 8/1/2014). As reported to Cuamm by the surgeon in Lui, "what happened is what we hoped would never happen. In recent days, after repeated encounters, we drafted a protocol for mass casualty, which we presented and discussed with the Health Management Team of the hospital. I first admitted a soldier who was stabbed in the chest. At the same time, a contingent of the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army), in march from Nzara to Juba, 20 km from here was attacked by unknown men with an AK 47". " Later, - says dr. Setti Carraro - 17 injured, due to gunshot, were admitted to hospital, one died, one shortly after being admitted, one died of hemorrhagic shock. The others were operated and only three were immediately disharged, but preferred to stay in hospital. Still others will have to stay for days or weeks". The people, at least some, are afraid . "Cuamm continues to meet the emergency needs of IDPs who have reached Minkamen. There are about 20 000 and need mosquito nets, food, medicines... The operators have provided the provision of anti-malarial treatments, amoxicillin, metronidazole, rehydration salts and paracetamol. "Ensuring the functioning of the hospital in Yirol and Lui is important for us and also for the local health system" - says Don Dante Carraro director of Doctors with Africa Cuamm. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio