AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Fighting continues despite peace talks
Lui (Agenzia Fides) – There is alert in South Sudan, where a few days ago about twenty wounded arrived at the hospital in Lui (Western Equatoria) assisted by the operators of Doctors with Africa Cuamm (see Fides 8/1/2014). As reported to Cuamm by the surgeon in Lui, "what happened is what we hoped would never happen. In recent days, after repeated encounters, we drafted a protocol for mass casualty, which we presented and discussed with the Health Management Team of the hospital. I first admitted a soldier who was stabbed in the chest. At the same time, a contingent of the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army), in march from Nzara to Juba, 20 km from here was attacked by unknown men with an AK 47". " Later, - says dr. Setti Carraro - 17 injured, due to gunshot, were admitted to hospital, one died, one shortly after being admitted, one died of hemorrhagic shock. The others were operated and only three were immediately disharged, but preferred to stay in hospital. Still others will have to stay for days or weeks". The people, at least some, are afraid . "Cuamm continues to meet the emergency needs of IDPs who have reached Minkamen. There are about 20 000 and need mosquito nets, food, medicines... The operators have provided the provision of anti-malarial treatments, amoxicillin, metronidazole, rehydration salts and paracetamol. "Ensuring the functioning of the hospital in Yirol and Lui is important for us and also for the local health system" - says Don Dante Carraro director of Doctors with Africa Cuamm. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-09-03 - The Archbishop of Juba will inform Pope Francis on the situation in his country
- 2015-08-31 - "People fear that the peace agreements may not be respected", said the Auxiliary of Juba
- 2015-08-28 - The President orders the cease-fire, but expresses strong reservations on the peace agreement
- 2015-08-27 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – No celebration was held in Juba for the signing of the peace agreement, "too many deaths for us to rejoice"
- 2015-08-26 - Towards the signing of the peace agreement to end the conflict described by the UN as "a threat to the peace of the entire region"
- 2015-08-11 - The peace process led by the Council of Churches begins
- 2015-08-07 - There are few hopes that the peace agreement will be signed by 17 August
- 2015-08-05 - The government of Juba rejects IGAD's peace plan, criticized by many
- 2015-08-03 - “Peace now” women march through the streets of Juba
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity