AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Fighting continues despite peace talks
Lui (Agenzia Fides) – There is alert in South Sudan, where a few days ago about twenty wounded arrived at the hospital in Lui (Western Equatoria) assisted by the operators of Doctors with Africa Cuamm (see Fides 8/1/2014). As reported to Cuamm by the surgeon in Lui, "what happened is what we hoped would never happen. In recent days, after repeated encounters, we drafted a protocol for mass casualty, which we presented and discussed with the Health Management Team of the hospital. I first admitted a soldier who was stabbed in the chest. At the same time, a contingent of the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army), in march from Nzara to Juba, 20 km from here was attacked by unknown men with an AK 47". " Later, - says dr. Setti Carraro - 17 injured, due to gunshot, were admitted to hospital, one died, one shortly after being admitted, one died of hemorrhagic shock. The others were operated and only three were immediately disharged, but preferred to stay in hospital. Still others will have to stay for days or weeks". The people, at least some, are afraid . "Cuamm continues to meet the emergency needs of IDPs who have reached Minkamen. There are about 20 000 and need mosquito nets, food, medicines... The operators have provided the provision of anti-malarial treatments, amoxicillin, metronidazole, rehydration salts and paracetamol. "Ensuring the functioning of the hospital in Yirol and Lui is important for us and also for the local health system" - says Don Dante Carraro director of Doctors with Africa Cuamm. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau