AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Fighting continues despite peace talks
Lui (Agenzia Fides) – There is alert in South Sudan, where a few days ago about twenty wounded arrived at the hospital in Lui (Western Equatoria) assisted by the operators of Doctors with Africa Cuamm (see Fides 8/1/2014). As reported to Cuamm by the surgeon in Lui, "what happened is what we hoped would never happen. In recent days, after repeated encounters, we drafted a protocol for mass casualty, which we presented and discussed with the Health Management Team of the hospital. I first admitted a soldier who was stabbed in the chest. At the same time, a contingent of the SPLA (Sudan People's Liberation Army), in march from Nzara to Juba, 20 km from here was attacked by unknown men with an AK 47". " Later, - says dr. Setti Carraro - 17 injured, due to gunshot, were admitted to hospital, one died, one shortly after being admitted, one died of hemorrhagic shock. The others were operated and only three were immediately disharged, but preferred to stay in hospital. Still others will have to stay for days or weeks". The people, at least some, are afraid . "Cuamm continues to meet the emergency needs of IDPs who have reached Minkamen. There are about 20 000 and need mosquito nets, food, medicines... The operators have provided the provision of anti-malarial treatments, amoxicillin, metronidazole, rehydration salts and paracetamol. "Ensuring the functioning of the hospital in Yirol and Lui is important for us and also for the local health system" - says Don Dante Carraro director of Doctors with Africa Cuamm. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia