AFRICA/KENYA - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
Kakuma (Agenzia Fides) - Until January 3, 2273 Sudanese refugees arrived in the Kakuma camp, at the Holy Cross parish in Kenya, where there are over 130 thousand people of different African nationalities. A note by ANS, sent to Fides Agency, states that refugees continue to arrive since the unrest began in Sudan. Many are found in the street, others move on foot and it is expected that the number will increase in coming days. For the moment, since there is no place, the United Nations High Commissariat for Refugees (UNHCR) has identified some schools to accommodate these new arrivals seeking asylum. They need everything from food to clothing, shelter and water. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2014)
- 2015-07-30 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishops call for general ‘boycot’ of upcoming vaccination campaign until vaccine is tested
- 2015-07-08 - More than 500 deaths in 150 terrorist attacks in the last three years
- 2015-07-07 - "The project of the Shabaab to liberate the north-east from non-Somalis continues" said the coadjutor Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-06-23 - The exhortation of Mgr. Pante to 600,000 refugees welcomed in Kenya: "Do not lose hope"
- 2015-06-15 - Even two Westerners among the Shabaab killed in an assault on a military camp
- 2015-06-10 - A shelter for 129 small children with Aids
- 2015-05-30 - Greater awareness is needed for the treatment of cholera and diarrhea
- 2015-05-20 - AFRICA/KENYA – First beatification in Kenya: the Italian missionary Sr. Irene, "mother all mercy and love"
- 2015-05-13 - Remembering the victims of Garissa, Christian leaders denounce the insecurity in which Kenya lives
- 2015-05-11 - The Bishops warn: "A Government that cannot protect its own people loses its legitimacy to govern"