ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Church is against the formation of a fait accompli government and the postponement of presidential elections
Beirut (Agenzia Fides) - The highest representatives of the Maronite Church are opposed to the formation of a fait accompli government that does not represent the balance of political forces operating in the Country of the Cedars. This was declared by Bishop Boulos Nabil El-Sayah, with reference to the considerations attributed to the Maronite Curia. "Bkerké [the seat of the Maronite Patriarchate] is against the formation of a fait accompli government because such a step could exacerbate the political impasse", said Bishop El-Sayah in an interview published in the newspaper Al-Joumhouria. The idea of creating such a government, according to the Maronite Bishop, is a danger to "the entire Lebanese society", because it risks aggravating the conflicting tendencies that already afflict the Country after the recent new wave of attacks.
The political stalemate in Lebanon which began eight months ago because of the vetoes of the two political blocs - the coalition on March 8 and the coalition on March 14 – appears to be untenable, now that the Country seems to be falling back into chaos. The March 8 coalition - which includes the Hezbollah Shiite party and the Free Patriotic Current, led by the Maronite general Michel Aoun - has proposed the formation of a government that confers 9 ministers in each of the two opposing blocs and 6 ministers to centrist independents. This proposal contrasts with the idea of a "neutral" government, which wants Hezbollah out of the government and this would have the likely side effect of postponing the presidential elections, scheduled for next May. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 03/01/2014)
- 2014-02-15 ASIA/LEBANON - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 ASIA/LEBANON - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence
- 2014-01-10 ASIA/LEBANON - The Missionary Childhood children in Lebanon help Syrian refugee children
- 2014-01-09 ASIA/LEBANON - Maronite Bishops: Lebanon looks like the Prometheus of the Middle East
- 2014-01-03 ASIA/LEBANON - The Maronite Church is against the formation of a fait accompli government and the postponement of presidential elections
- 2013-12-21 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai: some lawyers help Catholics to convert in order to divorce
- 2013-12-19 ASIA/LEBANON - Patriarch Rai’s first "Tweet" aimed at the young people of the Middle East