AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Joint appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam "for a UN force"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Despite the intervention of French and African troops, the situation in the Central African Republic, remains precarious. "The Central African Republic remains on the verge of a war with religious aspects" warned Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, and Omar Kobine Layama, Imam of the Central African capital, in a joint appeal published by the French newspaper "Le Monde". "Nearly half the population "desperately need aid", and about 40,000 people have taken refuge at Bangui airport where they are living without shelter or toilet facilities", write the two religious leaders who call on the UN to deploy a peacekeeping force "with the utmost urgency".
Meanwhile, Caritas networks have mobilized to bring aid to victims. Caritas of the United States (Catholic relief services - CRS), with the support of the French (Secours Catholique), has launched a program in favor of Bossangoa, a town in the north of the Country, where since the beginning of the fighting tens of thousands of people have taken refuge near the Catholic mission. The program, which will last until August, also provides for the distribution of aid to another site, where the majority of the displaced are Muslims. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/01/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui