AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Joint appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam "for a UN force"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Despite the intervention of French and African troops, the situation in the Central African Republic, remains precarious. "The Central African Republic remains on the verge of a war with religious aspects" warned Mgr. Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Archbishop of Bangui, and Omar Kobine Layama, Imam of the Central African capital, in a joint appeal published by the French newspaper "Le Monde". "Nearly half the population "desperately need aid", and about 40,000 people have taken refuge at Bangui airport where they are living without shelter or toilet facilities", write the two religious leaders who call on the UN to deploy a peacekeeping force "with the utmost urgency".
Meanwhile, Caritas networks have mobilized to bring aid to victims. Caritas of the United States (Catholic relief services - CRS), with the support of the French (Secours Catholique), has launched a program in favor of Bossangoa, a town in the north of the Country, where since the beginning of the fighting tens of thousands of people have taken refuge near the Catholic mission. The program, which will last until August, also provides for the distribution of aid to another site, where the majority of the displaced are Muslims. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 02/01/2014)
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui