ASIA/INDONESIA – Terrorism Alarm: at Christmas Muslims and Christians united in defense of churches
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - The Indonesian police is mobilizing to protect the Christian minority from terrorist threats that could disrupt Christmas. And, in addition to the commitment of the authorities, there is also a group of Muslims who have joined the Christian volunteers in order to provide an adequate service order especially on Christmas Day. As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, there are several initiatives that see Christians and Muslims united to counter terrorist threats against Christians in the country, in different parts of Indonesia. A week ago, in fact, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono issued a public warning about a possible plan on behalf of Islamic extremists to attack Christians during Christmas. In Banda Aceh, on the island of Sumatra, the police have issued a warning about possible attacks and the threat level is high even in Jakarta (island of Java), such as the island of Sulwesi.
"Some intend to exploit religion for violent actions: it is an attempt to divide Muslims and Christians", warns the Muslim leader Toriq Bahharaddin . " Christians have to be cautious and vigilant", notes a Pastor of the Bethany Church in Jakarta. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
ASIA/INDONESIA – TERRORISM ALARM: AT CHRISTMAS MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS UNITED IN DEFENSE OF CHURCHES
- 2014-11-17 - The Bishops: not only tolerance but authentic fraternity
- 2014-11-11 - The Indonesian Catholics are inspired by the martyrdom of Mgr. Johannes Aerts
- 2014-11-06 - The Bishops: "A Church which 'goes forth' to meet the man of our time"
- 2014-10-27 - First Interreligious Congress dedicated to "true brotherhood"
- 2014-10-24 - The Church supports the campaign against mining exploitation in Flores
- 2014-10-07 - Assembly of diocesan priests: attention to formation in seminaries is urgently needed
- 2014-10-03 - Monument to St. Francis Xavier in the Moluccas, a symbol of peace and unity
- 2014-09-25 - Mission, dialogue, peace: diocesan priests in National Assembly
- 2014-09-03 - Dominicans: “Dialogue as a Way of Preaching”
- 2014-07-24 - Priorities for new president Joko Widodo: stop intolerance and guarantee religious freedom