ASIA/INDONESIA – Terrorism Alarm: at Christmas Muslims and Christians united in defense of churches
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - The Indonesian police is mobilizing to protect the Christian minority from terrorist threats that could disrupt Christmas. And, in addition to the commitment of the authorities, there is also a group of Muslims who have joined the Christian volunteers in order to provide an adequate service order especially on Christmas Day. As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, there are several initiatives that see Christians and Muslims united to counter terrorist threats against Christians in the country, in different parts of Indonesia. A week ago, in fact, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono issued a public warning about a possible plan on behalf of Islamic extremists to attack Christians during Christmas. In Banda Aceh, on the island of Sumatra, the police have issued a warning about possible attacks and the threat level is high even in Jakarta (island of Java), such as the island of Sulwesi.
"Some intend to exploit religion for violent actions: it is an attempt to divide Muslims and Christians", warns the Muslim leader Toriq Bahharaddin . " Christians have to be cautious and vigilant", notes a Pastor of the Bethany Church in Jakarta. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2014-04-10 - The Democrats win: high hopes for Christians after the general election
- 2014-02-26 - “Pluralism endangered” government inertia NGO report
- 2014-02-15 - New decree in Aceh imposes sharia law to non-Muslims
- 2014-01-18 - Widespread religious violence in Indonesia
- 2014-01-10 - Christians are increasing in Aceh, but no permission is given to build churches
- 2014-01-04 - Christian politicians: "Remove one's religious belief from identity cards"
- 2014-01-03 - To eradicate terrorism, we need a national plan of "de-radicalization"
- 2013-12-21 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Terrorism Alarm: at Christmas Muslims and Christians united in defense of churches
- 2013-11-21 - Resignation of the Bishop of Bogor and appointment of successor
- 2013-10-29 - More funds from the government to the Minister for Religious Affairs: appeal to promote harmony