ASIA/INDONESIA – Terrorism Alarm: at Christmas Muslims and Christians united in defense of churches
Jakarta (Agenzia Fides) - The Indonesian police is mobilizing to protect the Christian minority from terrorist threats that could disrupt Christmas. And, in addition to the commitment of the authorities, there is also a group of Muslims who have joined the Christian volunteers in order to provide an adequate service order especially on Christmas Day. As reported to Fides Agency by the local Church, there are several initiatives that see Christians and Muslims united to counter terrorist threats against Christians in the country, in different parts of Indonesia. A week ago, in fact, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono issued a public warning about a possible plan on behalf of Islamic extremists to attack Christians during Christmas. In Banda Aceh, on the island of Sumatra, the police have issued a warning about possible attacks and the threat level is high even in Jakarta (island of Java), such as the island of Sulwesi.
"Some intend to exploit religion for violent actions: it is an attempt to divide Muslims and Christians", warns the Muslim leader Toriq Bahharaddin . " Christians have to be cautious and vigilant", notes a Pastor of the Bethany Church in Jakarta. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
ASIA/INDONESIA – TERRORISM ALARM: AT CHRISTMAS MUSLIMS AND CHRISTIANS UNITED IN DEFENSE OF CHURCHES
- 2015-02-27 - Lenten Mission in the suburbs in Jakarta
- 2015-02-24 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Lay volunteers experience Mission on the Island of Flores
- 2015-02-19 - launch “pluralism and respect for minorities”
- 2015-02-17 - ASIA/INDONESIA – Hopes grow in religious minorities for greater security and more tolerance
- 2015-02-16 - ASIA/INDONESIA – New Archbishop of Samarinda appointed
- 2015-02-13 - A Medical mission prepared the first "Day of the Sick" in the history of Flores
- 2015-01-23 - Year of Consecrated Life: the Dominican Family welcomes new laity
- 2014-12-11 - Indonesian Bishops and priests inspired by the Evangelii Gaudium in prayer and action
- 2014-12-04 - “God is present in the family”: joint Christmas Message from Catholic and Protestant leaders
- 2014-11-28 - Archbishop of Semarang: "Serve the common good, beyond religious belief"