AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 5,000 refugees welcomed in the Cathedral of Juba
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - About 5,000 people have taken refuge in the cathedral in Juba, capital of South Sudan, for days in the grip of violent clashes between rival factions of the army, respectively loyal to President Salva Kiir and former Vice President Riek Machar.
The Auxiliary Bishop of Juba, Mgr. Santo Loku Pio Doggale said that refugees are sleeping in the open air and that many of them, including several children, have contracted diseases. The presence of such a large number of people is also creating serious health problems, and there is a risk of a cholera outbreak.
The UN headquarters in South Sudan have welcomed tens of thousands of people (we are talking about 35,000 displaced persons).
In the meantime, there are political and diplomatic initiatives to defuse the crisis. A joint delegation of Kenya, Ethiopia, Djibouti, Uganda and Sudan arrived in Juba to attempt for mediation. Even the United States have announced the sending of a special emissary.
This activity appears to have produced a first result with the statement of President Kiir who said that he is ready to talk "without condition" with Machar. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/12/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan