ASIA/SYRIA - Hunger is the biggest danger for Syrians
Mareil Marly (Agenzia Fides) - Among the various organizations working in favor of the battered Syrian people, there is the support of the Pontifical Right Aid to the Church in Need, actively involved in helping refugees. Father Andrzej Halemba, head of the international ACS for the Middle East, does not hide his concern and said: "it is not easy to organize charitable activities in Syria and neighboring countries. Many areas are inaccessible and 11 000 children have already been killed by snipers or as a result of torture and executions. Since the beginning of the conflict we have involved all the institutions of the Church to raise funds for this population". Fr. Halemba stresses that hunger is the biggest danger for Syrians. "80% of them are worried about not having enough food. Without outside help, many people will not survive". "It is estimated that 75 % of the 22 million Syrians will need help in 2014. This year, ACS renews its support to the Christians of the Middle East through an online operation called Cadeaux de Noël messagers, which offers users to become messengers of peace through the internet website www.aed-france.org/cadeaux-messagers. It is a concrete action aimed at raising funds for Christian families who have remained in Syria, and those refugees in neighboring countries. For ACS it is essential to give hope to the remaining Christians in Syria who are forced to live with fear every day. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/12/2013)
- 2014-12-05 - Melkite Patriarch Grégoire III: al Azhar Conference “fundamental event”. Islamist ideology harms both Christians and Muslims
- 2014-12-01 - Civil war is causing the loss of a generation of children
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers