AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - 20 Cuamm health operators continue to provide assistance
Yirol (Agenzia Fides) - In spite of the tensions following the attempted coup in South Sudan, the NGO Doctors with Africa Cuamm, present in the Country with 20 expatriated operators, are following with concern the evolution of the instability. In a statement released by Cuamm, the local representative of the NGO states that: "because of planned activities on the territory all Cuamm operators are now in the hospitals in Yirol and Lui respectively 250 and 200 kilometers from Juba, information regarding the situation in the capital that we receive are fragmented and rapidly evolving, but the picture is worrying. Local authorities with whom we work closely with report that there are troop movements between Western Equatoria, Lakes State and Juba". The clashes are consequences of political conflicts. All the teams continue to ensure health care in hospitals especially towards the most vulnerable. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 18/12/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia