ASIA/HOLY LAND - Storm Alexa: Patriarch Twal's call for Syrian refugees
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal emphasizes the urgency to increase aid to Syrian refugees, at a time when even the weather conditions contribute to making their condition even more difficult. His Beatitude Twal "calls for the generosity of all to support the refugee victims of a conflict which has exceeded 1,000 days and of the material hardships affecting their lives".
Following a period of drought and the month of November "the hottest in 60 years, the religious leaders of the three monotheistic religions in the Holy Land called on their followers to pray for rain. As rain came in early December, it is a blessing for both the land and its people. However, this rainfall, because of its sudden intensity, brought challenges. A snow storm hit the Middle East during these last few days of 2013, covering several countries, including Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and Palestine". In these days of harsh cold, there remains the alarming condition of the Syrian refugees who number close to 2 million displaced in Lebanon and Jordan. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-11-21 - Caritas Jerusalem: "collective punishment" of the Palestinians must cease
- 2015-11-16 - The Catholic Bishops: fight terrorism without "duplicity"
- 2015-11-05 - The Catholic Bishops: more confessors in the Shrines for the Holy Year of Mercy
- 2015-10-30 - Pilgrims visit Holy Land, despite the violence
- 2015-10-21 - Olive harvest has begun in Gethsemane
- 2015-10-20 - Violence in Jerusalem, the Christian Youth of Palestine announces a prayer vigil for peace
- 2015-10-19 - Patriarch Twal: the "wall of Jerusalem" disfigures the face of the Holy City
- 2015-10-16 - Caritas Jerusalem: pilgrimages cancelled due to the blocks in the neighborhoods of the Holy City
- 2015-10-15 - Religious leaders and Shimon Peres against sectarian violence
- 2015-10-14 - The Director of Caritas Jerusalem: the block of East Jerusalem feeds anger and feelings of revenge