ASIA/HOLY LAND - Storm Alexa: Patriarch Twal's call for Syrian refugees
Jerusalem (Agenzia Fides) The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem Fouad Twal emphasizes the urgency to increase aid to Syrian refugees, at a time when even the weather conditions contribute to making their condition even more difficult. His Beatitude Twal "calls for the generosity of all to support the refugee victims of a conflict which has exceeded 1,000 days and of the material hardships affecting their lives".
Following a period of drought and the month of November "the hottest in 60 years, the religious leaders of the three monotheistic religions in the Holy Land called on their followers to pray for rain. As rain came in early December, it is a blessing for both the land and its people. However, this rainfall, because of its sudden intensity, brought challenges. A snow storm hit the Middle East during these last few days of 2013, covering several countries, including Jordan, Lebanon, Israel and Palestine". In these days of harsh cold, there remains the alarming condition of the Syrian refugees who number close to 2 million displaced in Lebanon and Jordan. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-01-14 - The Bishops' Holy Land Coordination visit the Cremisan Valley
- 2015-01-12 - International Delegation of Bishops visit Gaza; for Archbishop Fontana "a devastated situation"
- 2015-01-07 - International Delegation of Bishops to visit Gaza
- 2014-12-22 - Patriarch Twal visits Gaza: "today for many refugee children it would be a luxury to live in the grotto where Jesus was born"
- 2014-12-18 - Christmas Message of His Beatitude Patriarch Twal: tragedies and hopes of a difficult year
- 2014-12-02 - Cremisan case: Palestinian mayors and Catholic organizations reject the alternatives proposed by the Israeli government
- 2014-11-21 - Children without citizenship: the question of Palestinian children not registered reopens
- 2014-11-20 - Thousands of children from Gaza are disabled because of wars
- 2014-11-19 - Representatives of all religions visit the synagogue attacked. Patriarch Twal: No more violence in places of worship
- 2014-11-18 - Latin Patriarch Twal after the attack against the synagogue in Jerusalem: stop the endless spiral of revenge