AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan quashes coup attempt, says President Kiir
Juba ( Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir says on December 16 that an attempted coup by some military units has been put down. It comes after heavy gunfire overnight in the capital, Juba. Fighting broke out around 10 pm in a local police station in the city and continued for over an hour, and intensified in the early morning.
The President said that the coup leaders are on the run chased by the soldiers loyal to to the Presidency.
The newspaper Sudan Tribune reports that the shooting broke out when a unit, formed in large part by the Nuer, was alarmed by the movements considered suspicious by another unit formed mostly by the Dinka.
The political tension in South Sudan increased after President Salva Kiir (who belongs to the Dinka ethnic group) had sacked Vice President Riek Machar (a Nuer) in July.
The latter had announced his intention to contest the 2015 Presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death