AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan quashes coup attempt, says President Kiir
Juba ( Agenzia Fides) - South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir says on December 16 that an attempted coup by some military units has been put down. It comes after heavy gunfire overnight in the capital, Juba. Fighting broke out around 10 pm in a local police station in the city and continued for over an hour, and intensified in the early morning.
The President said that the coup leaders are on the run chased by the soldiers loyal to to the Presidency.
The newspaper Sudan Tribune reports that the shooting broke out when a unit, formed in large part by the Nuer, was alarmed by the movements considered suspicious by another unit formed mostly by the Dinka.
The political tension in South Sudan increased after President Salva Kiir (who belongs to the Dinka ethnic group) had sacked Vice President Riek Machar (a Nuer) in July.
The latter had announced his intention to contest the 2015 Presidential elections. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed