AMERICA/MEXICO - A million and a half to two million children are malnourished and suffer from anemia
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The rate of anemia in Mexico is worse than all the Countries of other continents, including Africa. A child born in Chiapas is six times more likely to suffer from malnutrition than the rest of Mexico. This was stated by the Director of the National Institute for the local Public Health, which confirmed that States like Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca is where the major number of children with food shortages is concentrated.
According to the Ranking Nacional de Nutrición Infantil (RANNI), an institute set up to identify the most important data on chronic malnutrition, anemia, and breastfeeding, in order to cope with the challenges and define the actions to be taken, in 11 States of Mexico, indices of chronic malnutrition have increased in the last six years, while other 6 regions have deteriorated with regards to cases of anemia. Currently, there is one and a half million malnourished children and 2 million under 5 years of age are anemic in the Country. At a global level, Mexico is demoted in the fight against anemia, decreasing the national average of one percentage point, from 12.4 to 13.6. From 1999 to 2005, the Country reduced the percentage of malnutrition from 21.5 to 15.4. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"
- 2015-01-27 - Child labor: 2 million and a half working children