AMERICA/MEXICO - A million and a half to two million children are malnourished and suffer from anemia
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The rate of anemia in Mexico is worse than all the Countries of other continents, including Africa. A child born in Chiapas is six times more likely to suffer from malnutrition than the rest of Mexico. This was stated by the Director of the National Institute for the local Public Health, which confirmed that States like Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca is where the major number of children with food shortages is concentrated.
According to the Ranking Nacional de Nutrición Infantil (RANNI), an institute set up to identify the most important data on chronic malnutrition, anemia, and breastfeeding, in order to cope with the challenges and define the actions to be taken, in 11 States of Mexico, indices of chronic malnutrition have increased in the last six years, while other 6 regions have deteriorated with regards to cases of anemia. Currently, there is one and a half million malnourished children and 2 million under 5 years of age are anemic in the Country. At a global level, Mexico is demoted in the fight against anemia, decreasing the national average of one percentage point, from 12.4 to 13.6. From 1999 to 2005, the Country reduced the percentage of malnutrition from 21.5 to 15.4. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-09-29 - Prevention and relief centers: the Church committed against addiction
- 2014-09-24 - Priest found dead in the river Balsas
- 2014-09-18 - XV national meeting of the pastoral care of human mobility: "Listening to the migrant brother is like listening to the voice of Jesus"
- 2014-09-16 - "To be free is to recognise goodness and see that evil enslaves”: Independence Day celebrations
- 2014-09-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – majority of child workers in Mexico’s south east regions
- 2014-09-08 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Appointment of National Director of the Pontifical Mission Societi
- 2014-09-01 - “Migrants: for a better world”, pastoral care for human mobility national meeting
- 2014-08-20 - The number of migrants who are victims of human trafficking increases
- 2014-08-12 - Organ trafficking and sexual exploitation: about 45,000 children and young people missing and abducted
- 2014-08-05 - The State of Tabasco extends medical assistance to migrants; the satisfaction of the Bishop