AMERICA/MEXICO - A million and a half to two million children are malnourished and suffer from anemia
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - The rate of anemia in Mexico is worse than all the Countries of other continents, including Africa. A child born in Chiapas is six times more likely to suffer from malnutrition than the rest of Mexico. This was stated by the Director of the National Institute for the local Public Health, which confirmed that States like Chiapas, Guerrero and Oaxaca is where the major number of children with food shortages is concentrated.
According to the Ranking Nacional de Nutrición Infantil (RANNI), an institute set up to identify the most important data on chronic malnutrition, anemia, and breastfeeding, in order to cope with the challenges and define the actions to be taken, in 11 States of Mexico, indices of chronic malnutrition have increased in the last six years, while other 6 regions have deteriorated with regards to cases of anemia. Currently, there is one and a half million malnourished children and 2 million under 5 years of age are anemic in the Country. At a global level, Mexico is demoted in the fight against anemia, decreasing the national average of one percentage point, from 12.4 to 13.6. From 1999 to 2005, the Country reduced the percentage of malnutrition from 21.5 to 15.4. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 16/12/2013)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace