AMERICA/URUGUAY - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
Montevideo (Agenzia Fides) - The Senate of Uruguay approved the law on the control and regulation of marijuana, with 16 votes in favor and 13 against, this will be the first country in the world to legalize the production, sale and consumption of such substance. In addition to this law, "the legalization and promotion of abortion, homosexual unions with marriage and artificial insemination in all its forms, are laws that will destroy the Uruguayan family", writes the Bishop of the diocese of Minas , His Exc. Mgr. Jaime Fuentes in his blog (www.desdelverdun.org).
His Exc. Mgr. Fuentes says, in the article sent to Fides Agency by the Episcopal Conference of Uruguay, that the alternative to this "suicide" approved by the law is in the teaching of authentic values, starting from the family.
Citing a specific example, he points out that "many couples do not want to have anything to do with the 'right' to abortion or cultivate marijuana" and "we must support them with enthusiasm".
The law will allow those who have reached legal age (over 18) domestic cultivation of cannabis for up to six plants, with a maximum of 480 grams of annual production. It can also be grown by associations or cooperatives, formed by 15 to 45 members, with a maximum of 99 plants. The sale will take place in licensed pharmacies: every buyer may purchase a maximum of 40 grams per month.
The President of Uruguay, José Mujica , highlighted the difficulty for the government with regards to the regulation of the use of marijuana, but he also stressed that the goal is to experiment new ways to combat drug abuse and drug trafficking. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 13/12/2013)
- 2015-05-30 - The Latin American devotion to Romero in Uruguay
- 2014-09-26 - The Bishops for the upcoming election: "We dream of a country where human life and the family are worth more than a hectare of land"
- 2014-09-19 - AMERICA/URUGUAY – The meeting of the PMS of the American Southern Cone: working together for the mission Ad gentes
- 2014-09-08 - “Passionate Communicators of the Good News”: meeting for Cono sur Pontifical Mission Societies
- 2013-12-19 - Over 13 thousand signatures in favor of clean environment
- 2013-12-13 - The legalization of marijuana will destroy family
- 2013-10-07 - The family at the center of missionary October
- 2013-07-02 - New educational center for the prevention of child labor
- 2013-06-21 - Invitation of the Church: a vote for a referendum against abortion
- 2013-02-23 - Social inclusion and “unity in diversity”: a challenge for the Church