ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) - "As men of the Church, we cannot incite Christians to take up arms and to take part in the conflict. We cannot say these things, it is insane. It goes against the Gospel and the Christian doctrine". This is what the Syrian Catholic Archbishop Jacques Behnan Hindo, titular of the eparchy of Hassaké - Nisibis says to Fides Agency.
His words are related to recent statements made by the Greek - Orthodox bishop, Lukas el- Khoury, according to whom "every young Christian in a position to do so should take up arms to protect Syria, churches and convents", because before what happens to the Syrian people, "we cannot remain with arms folded".
According to Archbishop Hindo, "the situation in which we find ourselves, every individual, even Christian, is free to make his own choices according to conscience. Last year the government had offered me 700 Kalashnikovs to be distributed among the Christians of Hassaké, and a thousand for those of Qamishli, and I refused. We are against violence, from whatever side it comes". The tragic situation in Syria and targeted attacks suffered by Christians in the Syrian conflict according to Archbishop Hindo can lead to unbalanced reactions: "We are all under pressure, we are now in anguish for the Sisters of Maalula, who have been kidnapped. But as pastors we must comfort our people. Moreover – the Syrian Catholic Archbishop concludes "reckless statements put Christians in danger of becoming targets of violence". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-11-18 - Assad: "Putin is the only defender of Christian civilization"
- 2015-11-17 - Pax Christi: need to put an end to the support to jihadist groups
- 2015-11-11 - Assyrian associations denounce the violence and abuse of Kurdish forces
- 2015-11-07 - The jihadist Islamic State release 37 other Assyrian hostages of the valley of Khabur
- 2015-10-28 - Russian delegation meets representatives of Churches and religious communities
- 2015-10-27 - Father Murad speaks of his captivity
- 2015-10-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – A shell hits Latin Church in Aleppo during the celebration of Mass. Bishop Abou Khazen: it could have been a massacre
- 2015-10-26 - violence and human rights: lessons in peace building in war zones.
- 2015-10-23 - Christians in Hassakè denounce attempts to expropriate properties of emigrants
- 2015-10-20 - Offensive in Aleppo. Archbishop Marayati: we pay the price of the 'Holy Wars' carried out by others