ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) - "As men of the Church, we cannot incite Christians to take up arms and to take part in the conflict. We cannot say these things, it is insane. It goes against the Gospel and the Christian doctrine". This is what the Syrian Catholic Archbishop Jacques Behnan Hindo, titular of the eparchy of Hassaké - Nisibis says to Fides Agency.
His words are related to recent statements made by the Greek - Orthodox bishop, Lukas el- Khoury, according to whom "every young Christian in a position to do so should take up arms to protect Syria, churches and convents", because before what happens to the Syrian people, "we cannot remain with arms folded".
According to Archbishop Hindo, "the situation in which we find ourselves, every individual, even Christian, is free to make his own choices according to conscience. Last year the government had offered me 700 Kalashnikovs to be distributed among the Christians of Hassaké, and a thousand for those of Qamishli, and I refused. We are against violence, from whatever side it comes". The tragic situation in Syria and targeted attacks suffered by Christians in the Syrian conflict according to Archbishop Hindo can lead to unbalanced reactions: "We are all under pressure, we are now in anguish for the Sisters of Maalula, who have been kidnapped. But as pastors we must comfort our people. Moreover – the Syrian Catholic Archbishop concludes "reckless statements put Christians in danger of becoming targets of violence". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture