ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) - "As men of the Church, we cannot incite Christians to take up arms and to take part in the conflict. We cannot say these things, it is insane. It goes against the Gospel and the Christian doctrine". This is what the Syrian Catholic Archbishop Jacques Behnan Hindo, titular of the eparchy of Hassaké - Nisibis says to Fides Agency.
His words are related to recent statements made by the Greek - Orthodox bishop, Lukas el- Khoury, according to whom "every young Christian in a position to do so should take up arms to protect Syria, churches and convents", because before what happens to the Syrian people, "we cannot remain with arms folded".
According to Archbishop Hindo, "the situation in which we find ourselves, every individual, even Christian, is free to make his own choices according to conscience. Last year the government had offered me 700 Kalashnikovs to be distributed among the Christians of Hassaké, and a thousand for those of Qamishli, and I refused. We are against violence, from whatever side it comes". The tragic situation in Syria and targeted attacks suffered by Christians in the Syrian conflict according to Archbishop Hindo can lead to unbalanced reactions: "We are all under pressure, we are now in anguish for the Sisters of Maalula, who have been kidnapped. But as pastors we must comfort our people. Moreover – the Syrian Catholic Archbishop concludes "reckless statements put Christians in danger of becoming targets of violence". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus
- 2015-06-12 - President Assad meets the Patriarch and the Synod of Syrian-Orthodox Bishops
- 2015-06-11 - Jihadist militants of al Nusra Front massacre dozens of Druze civilians in Idlib
- 2015-06-09 - The five Patriarchs of Antioch in Damascus: no to the disintegration of Syria
- 2015-06-01 - Muslim leaders for the release of father Murad, but the kidnappers are foreign to the social fabric
- 2015-05-30 - Bishop of Aleppo: unreliable rumors on a jihadist beheaded by an Assyrian soldier. Christians never justify revenge with religious issues