ASIA/SYRIA - Archbishop Hindo: inciting Christians to take up arms is "insane"
Hassaké (Agenzia Fides) - "As men of the Church, we cannot incite Christians to take up arms and to take part in the conflict. We cannot say these things, it is insane. It goes against the Gospel and the Christian doctrine". This is what the Syrian Catholic Archbishop Jacques Behnan Hindo, titular of the eparchy of Hassaké - Nisibis says to Fides Agency.
His words are related to recent statements made by the Greek - Orthodox bishop, Lukas el- Khoury, according to whom "every young Christian in a position to do so should take up arms to protect Syria, churches and convents", because before what happens to the Syrian people, "we cannot remain with arms folded".
According to Archbishop Hindo, "the situation in which we find ourselves, every individual, even Christian, is free to make his own choices according to conscience. Last year the government had offered me 700 Kalashnikovs to be distributed among the Christians of Hassaké, and a thousand for those of Qamishli, and I refused. We are against violence, from whatever side it comes". The tragic situation in Syria and targeted attacks suffered by Christians in the Syrian conflict according to Archbishop Hindo can lead to unbalanced reactions: "We are all under pressure, we are now in anguish for the Sisters of Maalula, who have been kidnapped. But as pastors we must comfort our people. Moreover – the Syrian Catholic Archbishop concludes "reckless statements put Christians in danger of becoming targets of violence". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 11/12/2013)
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims
- 2015-09-03 - A video and a letter from Father Jacques Murad, the prior of St. Elian kidnapped last May, has been released